01-Adoption Day

There's a knock at my door. It's Ms. Smith.

"Time to wake up, Lorelai. It's Adoption Day today," she says.

"Yay, thanks, Ms. Smith," I reply.

Ms. Smith and I are really close because she's the one who raised me at the orphanage. I get up and change into our uniforms: a black knee-length skirt, high black socks, and a black v-neck sweater. I know I'm not getting adopted anyway, so I don't feel like doing anything special.

When I come downstairs, I see a young man with brown hair. We all sit on chairs, and then Mr. Hall (the young man) comes around and talks to each one of us.

"Okay, everybody, line up in age categories," Mr. Hall says. "What kind of kid were you aiming for?"

"Well, I want a girl," he says.

Then, it's time for each of us to describe ourselves. I know I'm always last.

After about an hour, it's finally my turn.

"Well," I start, but I can feel my lips trembling and my legs almost giving up under me.

"Hey, just breathe," Mr. Hall says as he lays a hand on my shoulder.

"Okay, I'm Lorelai. I've been here since I was 5 years old. I'm kind of shy and I get anxious around new people."

"Well, I'm going in to sign the papers, and then it's a surprise who I choose," Mr. Hall says as he leaves with Ms. Smith.

Bryce's POV

"I want Lorelai," I say.

"Great choice, even though I might have to warn you about something," Ms. Smith replies.

"What's wrong?"

"She has some problems."

"What kind of problems?"

"She has anxiety, and as time has gone by and she's been with a couple of families, she has also developed some more trauma-related diagnoses."

"Oh, poor baby."

"Do you still want Lorelai?"

"Of course I do."

"Okay, then go take your daughter home, Mr. Hall."

"Thank you, ma'am."

Lorelai's POV

We all sit in silence until Ms. Smith comes out with Mr. Hall beside her.

"Congratulations, Lorelai. He chose you," she announces.

"What, me?" I say, pointing a finger at myself.

Ms. Smith nods, and I smile.

"You may go to your room and get your stuff. Your new dad will be waiting outside," she says.

"Thank you, Ms. Smith," I reply.

I leave the big hall and head to my room. I pack my personal stuff and the very small amount of clothes I own. Before leaving, I hug Ms. Smith goodbye, noticing tears in her eyes.

"Don't cry, Ms. Smith. I promise to come visit," I say, wiping away a tear on her cheek.

"Thank you, dear."

Outside, Mr. Hall is already waiting for me. When we sit in the car, he keeps asking me questions, which triggers my anxiety.

"Can you please wait with the questions?" I ask.

"Oh, I'm sorry. My name is Bryce, by the way," he says.

"Hi, Bryce."

"Just so you know, I live in a house with some other boys, but I think Anthony's girlfriend, Avani, is at our house today. Maybe you girls could go do some shopping?" Bryce suggests.

"Okay," I reply.

Time skip to when we arrive at Sway House

When I enter, I hide behind Bryce because I'm shy and feel overwhelmed.

"Well, this is my daughter, Lorelai. She's 12 and has been at the orphanage since she was 5 years old. She's a little shy, so I think we'll wait with the introductions and questions until dinner," Bryce explains.

"Can I show you your room?" Bryce asks.

"Fine."

My room has a king-size bed and a few other pieces of furniture.

"You can personalize it however you want," Bryce says.

"Thank you, Bryce."

"Well, I think Avani is waiting for you?" Bryce says.

"Yeah. Bye," I say as I leave.

When I come out, I see the girl from before sitting in a car. I think that's Avani.

"Hi, I'm Avani," she says.

"Hi," I reply.

"Listen to me. I know this is hard, but I know you will love those boys, especially Jaden. His biggest wish is to have a younger girl in the house," Avani says, making me giggle at the thought of someone wanting me.

"I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. It's just weird. At the orphanage, there were 60 girls and 15 boys, and now it's just me and a bunch of boys," I explain.

"These boys will be the best family in the world. Just please give them a chance," Avani says.

"I will," I promise.

"Good. Oh, and do you dance?" Avani asks.

"No, but it's my biggest dream."

"I have some friends who are professional dancers. I can ask if they want to dance with you sometime?" Avani offers.

"OMG, thanks, Avani," I say, giving her a side hug.

"Just call me V."

"Okay, V," I say.

Time skip to when we arrive back at Sway again

When Avani opens the door, I see my dad standing in the kitchen. I give Avani the bags and go over to him, standing beside him.

"Hey, princess, what's up?" he asks.

"I'm so sorry for being difficult," I apologize.

"Hey, you don't need to apologize," Bryce says, kneeling in front of me.

"I'll try my best not to be mean, but it's pretty hard. So, don't take it personally if I say something," I warn all the boys.

"It's okay," Bryce says, hugging me.

"But now I need to go to my room with all my bags and change out of this uniform," I say.

As I'm in the middle of unpacking, there's a knock at my door.

"Who's there?" I ask.

"Avani," she answers.

"Come in."

"Charli asks if she can come over in 10 minutes, and then you can dance together," Avani says.

"Who is Charli?"

"My good friend and she's an amazing dancer," Avani explains.

"Yeah, I would love that. Then I'm gonna go change into something else," I say as she walks out.

I change into a pair of green leggings and a black sweatshirt with a white top underneath. When I come down, I see a new girl.

"Hi, I'm Charli," she introduces herself.

"Hi, I'm Lorelai," I reply, and she hugs me.

"Hey, girls, me and the boys are gonna drive to the Hype House for some videos, so you guys have the house to yourselves," Bryce informs us.

"Thanks, Bryce," I say, hugging him goodbye.

"Okay then, I've made an easy choreography I can teach you?" Charli suggests.

"Yay, that has always been my dream," I say excitedly.

"Do you have a phone?" Charli asks.

"Yeah, Avani and I bought one for me, but I haven't set it up yet," I explain.

"Then we can record it or something if you're up for it," Charli suggests.