Twelve

The pub where Basil and Bucky were due to meet Steve and the rest of their new team was hidden away on a street a short distance away from the main command offices. Light spilled from the doors, interspersed with laughter and voices, as the sky turned black. As the two soldiers pushed the doors open, Basil saw the employees begin to draw the blackout curtains on the windows and dim the lights with shades. Not that this stopped the cheerful atmosphere inside. The patrons, who were mostly soldiers and officers, didn't let up in their chatter.

"Bucky!" A blonde head over the crowd. Steve beaming at them. Basil tired not to wince at the golden boy. Bucky's face lit up and he beamed back. Basil looked between the two of them for a second, before placing a slight smile on his face and pushing through the crowd.

Steve was standing before a large round table which had been pushed back into a corner, away from the bar and general hubbub. Six other men were squeezed round it. All of them older than Basil, even older than Bucky and Steve. Basil felt them sing him up as he and Bucky approached. "Heya Stevie", Bucky greeted, patting Steve heavily on the shoulder.

"Heya Buck", Steve sighed back. They parted and he gestured to two empty seats next to him. Basil took the seat next to the man in a red cap. Bucky  sneaking between him to sit next to Steve. "Nice to see you Parrish", Steve greeted and Basil smiled wider as they shook hands over the table. "Looking good now that you're out of the hospital".

"Nothing I couldn't handle", Basil shrugged. Steve chuckled.

"Well, Buck, Parrish. These are the other members of our team; Dum dum Dugan, Monty Falsworth, Jim Mortia, Gabe Jones, and Jacques Dernier". Each man nodded at them as Steve introduced them. Dum Dum and Gabe both raising their pints up in acknowledgement.

"Sargent James Buchanan Barnes", Bucky greeted, taking time to shake all their hands.

"My turn", Basil joked. He lightly nudged Bucky's arm away and held out his own. "Corporal Jahi Basilton Parrish. Pleasure". He did not let his smile falter as the men all shook his hand.

"I remember you". Basil thought it might have been Gabe Jones who spoke. He was a dark skinned man in his mid to late twenties. When he spoke it was with a thick American accent. Basil struggled to place it but it seemed like a accent from somewhere near or about New York.

Gabe grinned and shook Basil's hand enthusiastically. "You were the singing kid! We were all in captivity with 107th. You were the one who read to us, and sung hymns. We meet again". Instantly the faces of the other men broke into surprises smiles.

"You have some balls boy", Dum dum complimented. His blonde moustache rippled as he spoke. He must be in his thirties or early forties. "The way you laughed as you were taken to the labs. That kid sent shivers down my spine. Boosted moral though".

Basil broke with a startled cackle. "Glad to entertain", he smiled.

"We owe the two of you as much as we owe Cap America", Jim commented. He was a smaller Asian man in his thirties. Basil thought he recognised him from one of the cages during captivity.

"Yes", Jacques added. His accent as thickly French as his name. He didn't seem to know much English and he struggled slightly on the words. "Good to see you alive Parrish". Basil grinned at him.

"I have never read Frankenstien until then", Monty chuckled. He was the oldest of them, eyes lined with crows feet. "If my mother knew that I had finally read that damn book, she would be so proud". He laughed and leaned back in his seat as he took a swig of beer, one hand adjusting his red cap as he grinned. Basil lit up at the English accent.

"Where are you from?" He asked eagerly.

"Cambridge", Month replied.

"I could tell. You Oxford and Cambridge chaps always have a thicker accent than us southerners. I'm from Canterbury but I've spent a lot of my time in London".