44

a backup plan

a backup plan

THE SILENCE THAT HAD SETTLED IN THE LOCKWOOD MANSION IS QUICKLY DISRUPTED BY ATHENA'S SUDDEN APPEARANCE. She doesn't bother with niceties as she storms through the house with Josh in tow, her black boots slamming heavily on the floor as she bursts into the Mayor's office.

"Hey, what are you–"

Tyler's exclamations are cut off as Athena yanks him off of the couch and chucks him carelessly to the ground. "Where is she?"

"What are you talking about?"

Athena nearly snarls at him as she kneels beside him on the ground. "Don't play stupid with me. Where is Caroline?"

Tyler's eyes widen and he snaps his gaze to the blond man standing tall behind Athena. "I don't– I don't know!"

"He's lying," Josh mutters, narrowing his eyes as he scatters his gaze momentarily before it lands on the teenager's cell phone lying carelessly on the desk. He reaches for it while Athena pins Tyler to the ground with a knee on his chest, uncaring of the way he struggles to take a full breath.

Josh scrolls through the text threads, reading each one rapidly. "An hour ago," He captures Athena's attention. "Jules texted him and said she would take care of everything."

Josh's green eyes flicker to Tyler and he shakes the cellphone at him accusingly. "What'd you tell her, Tyler? How'd you get her to go after Caroline?"

Tyler grits his teeth, glaring at the man before his gaze settles on Athena. "She's the one who told me about Mason,"

"Oh," Athena chuckles humorlessly. "So, the stranger comes to town and tells you that vampires killed your uncle, and you believe her when she says it's the ditzy blonde who you nearly killed a few weeks ago?"

"I didn't," Tyler inhales sharply, his eyes tinting yellow as he tries to control his anger. "I didn't know she'd take Caroline."

"Well that's why we don't trust strangers, Tyler," Athena speaks patronizingly. "I guess your dad didn't have enough time to teach you about stranger danger before he died."

A low growl rumbles from Tyler's chest and Athena rolls her eyes as she leans more of her weight down on him. "Where did she take Caroline?"

"I don't know,"

Athena draws her fist back, looking down at Tyler warningly. "Where'd she take Caroline, Tyler?!"

Tyler shakes his head stubbornly. "I don't know! I swear, I don't know! She just said she'd handle it, and get revenge for Mason!"

"If you wanted revenge, all you had to do was come and find me," She grits her teeth, leaning down into his face. "You're going to call Jules and you're gonna tell her she's got the wrong girl, and that if she doesn't let Caroline go in one piece, she's going to get a front-row seat to what happened to Mason."