02

you've got history

you've got history

ATHENA WAKES UP WITH A DETERMINATION IN HER BONES THAT SHE QUESTIONS. The sun seemed to shine on her as she walked into school, adjusting the puffy sleeves of her dress. The pink dress was a favorite of hers, and she felt a pang of heartache when she heard Caroline's voice in her head complimenting the red roses scattering the dress.

As if summoned, the blonde bounced up beside her locker, and Athena raised a thick brow at her, silently questioning her intentions after her encounter with Elena yesterday.

"Hey, Athena, I just wanted to see if you were going to be at cheer tryouts today. I totally get it if you're not, but the girls miss you–"

"I'm sure they do," Athena said, a passive-aggressive smile on her face as she turned to face Caroline. She was going to stop going to her locker in the mornings if it meant people thought they could just strike up a conversation whenever. "I don't have time, Caroline. But good luck as captain, you deserve it."

She meant it, as forced as it came off. With the awkward tension between her and Caroline now, any sort of compliment was bound to come off as fake. She resented the fact that even after Caroline had hurt her, Athena still wanted her to be happy. Sighing tiredly, Athena walked off and left Caroline standing beside her locker with a shocked face.

It's not like she liked being mean to Caroline, but after everything that happened in May, she was bitter, and it'd been nearly five months and there had been no attempts at apologies from her. She wasn't even sure if she'd accept one, to begin with. The fact that she and Elena seemed to be taking this odd path of 'nothing ever happened' just turned that bitter fire inside of her up to a burning blaze.

Athena clutched her book to her chest and stalked through the emptying hallways, turning a sharp corner and stopping abruptly when she nearly ran into someone. She glared up at the taller man, her thick eyebrows furrowing when she saw the familiar forest green eyes staring down at her– that same shade of infuriating amusement in them as yesterday in history.

"Oh, it's you again," She rolled her eyes.

"Rough morning?" He questioned, making her scoff and look up at him.

"Rough year. Do you need something? Here to file a personal grievance for something I said that hurt your feelings? I suggest the guidance counselor, she's got a file started."

He huffed an amused laugh and examined the girl he saw yesterday in class as she so confidently talked their teacher down. "You did call me a speed bump yesterday, and I can't say that it didn't hurt my feelings."

Athena's eyes widened, remembering the person she'd run into yesterday on her way to history in her hurry to escape Elena. She stepped back from him, eyeing the broad shoulders that were barely concealed beneath his jacket. For some reason, he intrigued her. "Well, considering you almost ran into me again, I'd say it was a fitting description. And it's not like I know your name."