Fallen Star

You had fallen out of the sky through the roof of Beorn's barn almost a year ago now. You were a normal human girl. You had little skill in many different things. What Beorn liked the most was that you could bake. Beorn liked sweets, and you could make cookies and pies. Of course, you not caring that he turned into a giant bear sometimes did help with him tolerating you. You were considered short in your own world, you were only 5'6, so you only came to his elbow. He didn't seem to mind. At first, it was odd getting used to sharing a space with someone else. You lived by yourself before you came to this world through a hole in the sky. Beorn, at least, was used to sharing with his animals before you, so it was easier to adjust to living with you for him than it was for you sharing with him. It took time but now you are both very comfortable with the other.

It's winter now and you're freezing cold at night. Not even the fur blankets are enough to keep you warm. You carry your fur blanket with you to Beorn's room. You open the door and walk over to a sleeping Beorn. You gently lay your hand on his face. "Beorn?" Beorn's eyes snap open, and he looks at you. "Do you need something, Fallen Star?" You smile at his nickname for you. "I'm too cold, I can't sleep." Beorn thinks for a moment then lifts his fur blanket up. "You can share my warmth." You smile and place your fur blanket on top and crawl into Beorn's bed. You shift around until you settle for laying your head on Beorn's chest. He breathes out shakily then places his arm around your waist, holding you close.

It's summer, almost autumn, now and you still share Beorn's bed at night. You've found your sleep is better sharing his bed than by yourself. You wake up and notice Beorn is out of bed already. That's odd, usually, you wake up first. You go out of the bedroom and stop in your tracks. You don't remember letting lots of little men into the house. Then you notice someone else, someone taller than you. "Gandalf?"

They all turn at your voice and stare at you. Gandalf smiles, "I wondered if you were still here Jean." "Still here, did Beorn let you in?" "In a way." You raise an eyebrow, "Let me guess he chased you in bear form?" Gandalf nods. You laugh at that. Then you notice that you recognize one of the short men from a story in your world. "That's Thorin Oakenshield. What is the king under the mountain doing here? You know Beorn doesn't like dwarves." They all look shocked. Gandalf says, "We are on a journey, my dear." "Oh, this is that fateful journey where you reclaim Erebor. Well, that settles it, I'm coming with." They all burst out talking all at once. "SHUT IT!" They all do. "Now, I've been waiting for this quest since the moment I fell through Beorn's barn roof just over a year ago. I am coming with you whether you like it or not. I know what happens in this story and I will be there when you reclaim Erebor." They just grumble as Gandalf says, "That is a splendid idea, Jean." "Good. Now introductions are in order."

Kili and Fili take a liking to you, as does Bofur. You smile and talk with them all while you wait for Beorn to come back. It's dark now and you're worried about Beorn. From what the others told you he was facing Orcs. The others have gone to sleep, but you sit awake waiting for Beorn.

He comes in naked and you quickly avert your eyes. He pulls on pants then gently turns your head towards him. "I am alright Fallen Star." You just hug the giant shirtless man to you. "I was worried about you against the Orcs." He just rubs his hand down your back. "It takes more than a few Orcs to keep me from you." You smile at that and blush. Beorn is always saying things that make you blush. Beorn carries you to our bed and wraps his arms around you. He pulls you completely onto his chest. Your head is in his neck. He's not usually shirtless when we share a bed, so you are blushing. "Sleep Jean, I will watch over you." You blink at him using your actual name instead of your nickname. "Goodnight Beorn." "Goodnight Fallen Star."

In the morning, Beorn carries you outside with him so that he can keep you with him as he chops wood. You always like watching him chop wood, he always does it shirtless. Beorn is very handsome in your opinion, you've always thought so. Usually though when you watch him it's through the crack in the wall not outside with him. "Beorn why did you carry me outside with you?" "To keep you away from the dwarves." "Beorn why do you want to keep me away from the dwarves?" He doesn't answer you, just turns back to chopping wood. "Well, you should know that when they leave to continue their journey I am going with them." He growls at that, then out comes Gandalf and Bilbo. Bad timing.