Love Struck

Keith's POV

I can pinpoint the exact moment. The exact fucking moment that it all started.

It all started with that smile. That beautiful smile.

It started at the Garrison. I was training to be a fighter pilot. He was a begrudging cargo pilot. At the time, I didn't think about relationships. The only person I needed was Shiro. As long as I had Shiro, I wouldn't be lonely. That was what I thought before I before I was thrown into space.

Of course I remembered Lance McClain. He was...well, I found him extremely annoying when we had class together. He was always telling me how much better he was than me at flying, but everyone he told knew that wasn't true. But, even if I found him annoying, I kind of admired him. At first, I didn't think about it too much, but I really did admire the way he talked and made friends so easily. I was too anxious to even talk to my own classmates, and he made it look so...easy.

I tried convincing myself that I really didn't need anyone else. That I didn't need friends, so I shouldn't be jealous of Lance. I was confused about how I felt about him for a long time. Of course, he definitely thought I was annoyed by him, and maybe even that I looked down on him. Thats my fault. I could never talk the way Lance talked and it really pissed me off, so I probably took it out on him. I only realized this as I was older and wiser. After I sorted out my feelings. I really never meant to belittle him. My mouth had a fucking mind of its own.

After we had been in the program for a while, we started doing these fighter pilot races without supervision. It was something set up by some student, and was probably illegal, but I didn't care. Apparently, neither did Lance.

There was a small crowd of students around the two fighter jets that some kid definitely stole from the Garrisson. I could feel Lance's glare at me from the other side of the crowd. I look at him, to satisfy his need for my attention, and then suddenly points. I also notice Hunk standing beside him, trying to calm him down, but I didn't really know or care who he was at the time.

"Kogane! You and me! Right now!" He yells, loud enough to rouse the crowd. I sigh, really not liking the attention he gave me to me.

"Yeah, Lance, put the emo kid in his place!" I heard someone yell.

"Kick his ass, Lance!" Some other kids started chanting.

Sure, the fact no one was in my side did hurt a little, but it wasn't anything I want used to.

I walked closer to the fighter jet, and everyone started cheering on Lance, who was heading to his. I rolled my eyes as I headed inside. I didn't like attention. I wanted to fly a fighter jet to help people, to impress Shiro, to have fun. This was a lose lose senario. If I win, they'd berate me for being a showoff. If I lose, they'd berate me for being a loser. But, I couldn't back out. That'd be worse.

The jets had speakers inside them, so Lance and I could hear each other.

"Ready to get beat, mullet?" Lance asked.

"In your dreams, McClain." I replied. It was easier talking to him when it was just us. I did what Shiro taught me and forgot that there was an audience watching. I took deep breaths and just did what I did best. Fly.

At first, it was pretty close. I never understood why he was a cargo pilot, I thought he at least had potential. He kept trash talking to me, which only made me fly faster. Before I knew it, I'd lost him and he'd gotten quiet. I knew some tricks that he didn't know. I guess it was unfair, since I had learned from Takashi Shirogane himself, but I wasn't just going to let him win.

"You're a worthy rival, k-kogane..." I heard Lance say. It was evident in his voice that he was frustrated, but was making an effort to mantain a sense of sportsmanship.

"Who said you were my rival? Pretty sure you made that up." I replied.

"What? You think you're too much of a hot shot to be my rival?" He asked.

"I'm saying that I don't want a rival. Never said you weren't good at flying." I said. I hadn't thought about it when I said it, but that compliment seemed to effect Lance somehow.

A video image appeared on the screen next to me. Lance connected the video call feature. He was smiling wide. "So you're saying I'm as good as you?!" He asked. I could practically see stars in his eyes. His reaction took me off guard, and I let my guard down for a moment.

"Uh...y...yeah..." I replied. His smile was so genuine and I wasn't expecting a small comment to effect him so much. Even though I never said he was as good as me, I agreed out of instinct. I didn't want to get rid of that smile.

"Ha! You're falling behind, mullet!" Lance suddenly yelled. I jerked out of my trance and realized that Lance was now in front of me. I looked back at the screen and saw how happy and confident he looked.

That was the first time in my life that I did something good for someone else. Though, I did it for selfish reasons. I loved that smile. I wanted to keep it on his face. If I could do that, I'd be happy. I wasn't sure why. I was confused, but content. No one had ever made me feel like that.

Lance ended up winning the race. I didn't let him win without putting on a performance. Lance only won by a foot. The smile on his face was worth it. I didn't care that I lost. I didn't care that the other kids were talking shit to me. I didn't care. My eyes were only fixated on Lance.

After that race, every time I looked at him, my heart raced and I couldn't bare to look him in the eye.

I told no one. I refused to accept it for so long, but I couldn't do that forever. I knew how I felt about him and I absolutely hated it. So, I...cut him out. I pretended he didn't exist. If he didn't exist, I wouldn't be weak. I would never purposely lose again if he wasn't there...

AND THEN I GOT THROWN INTO SPACE IN A BLUE ROBOT PSYCHIC LION WITH HIM AND TWO OTHER PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW FFS