Chapter 13

Victor had successfully snuck us back into the school after parking his second car in the original spot. We made sure no one noticed before locking the car and making our way over to the school. It actually was easier to sneak in than to sneak out which made me worry in case an intruder ever decided to come on campus. We were by the locker rooms which were located in the far back of the school, but not as far back as the gate we jumped to leave.

"Thank you for today," Victor said, leaning an arm over my head.

I had my back against the wall and he towered over my form. God, he was too handsome and beautiful. I came to the conclusion that I was a little bummed that he didn't at least give me a quick peck. But a kiss on the cheek was better than nothing so I was still extremely happy.

"You sure we can't hang out right now after school? Go back to mine and watch a movie? Order takeout?"

I smiled and said, "While that does sound great, I really should spend time with Max."

He chuckled and leaned in a little more saying, "Max, do I gotta worry about him? Hm? Is he after you, sunshine?" I chuckled and gently nudged his shoulder as he released a small laugh. "Alright, well then, just text me. I'll be bored without you."

"Thanks for telling me I'm only a form of entertainment for you."

He laughed and kissed my cheek before walking away just as the bell rang. Students immediately started pouring out of classrooms and I had to wait just a couple more seconds before actually moving. I don't know what was going on between us, but it seemed that we were taking it slow and I liked that very much. I met up with Max at his locker and he pretended to not notice me to tease me about my absence in his life. I felt a little bad but he said it was all good. Sara was soon to show up along with an annoyed Charlie who was on the phone. Most likely her ex-boyfriend.

"So, what's the plan for today."

Max tsked and said, "Sorry ladies. Today is just Diego and I."

Sara scoffed while Charlie looked surprised. I, too, was surprised. I didn't expect Max to say that, much less actually offer to spend time away from Sara. Was I missing something? Max would usually take anytime he could to be with Sara. I couldn't remember that last time we had a night to hangout just him and I.

"Well, whatever. Charlie and I are going to my house," Sara said and walked away with Charlie who winked at us.

Max shrugged and closed his locker, wrapping an arm around me and he led us out of the school. I couldn't stop my eyes from wandering to Victor. He had a smile on and was laughing at something with his friends. Caden was there too but Victor had my attention. He must've felt me staring because he glanced around before his eyes caught mine. His eyes shined and he sent me a quick and casual wink before his eyes landed on Max's arm that was wrapped around me. I looked away before he could meet my eyes with his again. Max led me to his dad's car which I was quite shocked to see. His dad is always on business trips but when Max has the car that means his dad was back.

"So I see your dad is back."

"Dude, he's been back for like two days now," he said with a snort.

That just made the guilt become bigger. He noticed from the face I made because he assured me that everything was okay. We got in his dad's old mustang car and buckled up before Max pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main road. Max absolutely loved this car and I was sure his father was going to give it to him as a graduation present. Max quickly drove us to his place and parked, locking the car once we got out. He opened the front door and right away I could see his father watching the TV with a bored expression.

"Dad, I'm home."

His father looked at us and he smiled a kind smile and stood up to greet us. He ruffled Max's hair and gave my back a pat. Max's father was a kind man with a heart so sweet, it put candy to shame. His mother was a different story. His mother was a tough lady with a mean look. She carried a bible wherever she went because she was beyond dedicated to her religion. I don't think that was wrong, everyone should be proud of their beliefs. What I didn't like was that she shoved every word of the bible down Max's throat at any chance she could get. She went absolutely crazy when Max told her that he wouldn't be attending church anymore with her. His dad didn't mind and instead insisted that he was a growing boy that had his own beliefs and ideas. That didn't sit well with her.

"Hello boys! How was school? Your mother isn't home, she went grocery shopping."

"School was great dad, I finally managed to grab a hold of this one," Max said, pointing his finger at me.

His father laughed and shook his head saying, "Alright then, run along before your mother gets home and sits you both down for a good church talk."

Max didn't waste a second before grabbing my arm and pulling me to his room, closing and locking the door behind him. He threw his backpack on the floor and jumped on his bed. I placed my bag beside his desk and sat down on his desk chair, twirling myself around on it.

"I have an issue."

"About?"

"Charlie is a pretty cool girl-"

I cut him off with a gasp, immediately stopping my twirling and looking at him. For so long he's had a crush on Sara and I didn't think it was possible for him to look at another girl and think that she was the one. I did see Charlie post pictures of them together on Instagram but Sara has always been the one. I was honestly shocked and did not see that coming.

"You like her?"

Max's cheeks tinted pink and he scratched the back of his neck, avoiding eye contact and instead finding interest to his bedroom floor. I felt a little proud for him. He gave Sara everything he had and she never gave him the time of day. Sara was a great friend and I know you can't force someone to like you but I just felt like she took advantage of Max at times.

"I don't know how to feel, man. I mean, there's Charlie but then there's Sara! You know how long I've had my thing for her. And Charlie is still texting her ex boyfriend. They aren't together but he keeps texting her and she's responding. Though I think she's tired of him. I don't know!"

"Ask her out, dude!"

"I can't," he groaned and threw himself back on his bed. "I'm still not over Sara."

"And Charlie might not be over her ex. Doesn't mean you guys can't try. If you don't move on then you'll always just not be over Sara. You gotta do what's right for you."

"Won't it be weird that I'm gonna ask her out though?"

"Why? Sara has shown her feelings and I want you to be happy."

Max was silent for a bit, processing everything.  I really hoped he'd ask out Charlie. It would be good for him and her. I know they enjoy each other's company, Charlie's latest posts involve him after all. I just hoped Sara wouldn't somehow "realize" her feelings and tell Max. That would ruin everything.

"Let's play some games," he finally said and proceeded to set up his gaming console.

That was a clear way to silently say 'let's change the subject' so I dropped it. I sat beside him, grabbed a control and waited for him to start the game.