The Elevator

"Captain, I want you to meet someone."

Agent Monroe slid into Alexander Pierce's office. She was told to come at 0200, that she was to be introduced to Steve Rogers. She didn't know why, and she didn't really care. All she knew was that she was walking into a room with the All American Dream - and she wanted no part of it.

"This is Agent Lindsey Monroe, she's been with S.H.I.E.L.D. for four years, I called her in to meet you. She's going to be part of a team that will be weeding out HYDRA threats."

Lindsey turned the corner and nearly tripped. It was sheer luck that she kept her composure. She swallowed hard and she watched his gaze fall to her throat and watch it contract. His did the same as his Adam's apple bobbed.

She nodded. "Captain Rogers, it's great to finally meet you, I've heard," She tipped her head and smirked. "Good things."

His jaw ticked, and he gave her a lopsided grin that floored her. This guy, this goodie goodie All American, Star Spangled hero, was making her knees weak and her question everything.

"Agent Monroe, please stay."

Pierce turned his attention back to Rogers, "You were the last one to see Nick alive, I don't think that's an accident. And I don't think you do either."

Whoa, what kind of shit storm did she just walk into?

She lowered her gaze and took a stance next to Rogers. It felt comfortable, natural - and safe. If she was going to be honest, if she was going to be on anyone's side in the room, it was going to be Cap's. She'd always sniffed something rotten in Pierce. He was a bit - too perfect. Not Rogers perfect. He was a man with a plan. But Pierce. He was a man with manipulation and alternative motives.

"So I'm going to ask again. Why was he there?"

Lindsey cleared her throat, and she could feel Steve's gaze slide to hers, and his body shifted very slightly. As if to shield her. She took in a breath, and her heart doubled its beat.

"He told me not to trust anyone." Rogers shifted again, keeping himself just slightly in front of her.

"I wonder, if that included him."

Lindsey felt a shiver race up her spine. Something was off, why was she here for this. Why was Pierce questioning Rogers. Of all people, Steve Rogers. Who questioned the one person in this world that had the best of intentions? That telling feeling didn't ease, she knew something was wrong and she was sticking close to Rogers until him and her got the hell out of this building.

"I'm sorry. Those were his last words." Rogers insisted.

The tension in the room could be cut with a knife.

"Excuse me." Rogers turned to leave, he nodded in her direction. It was subtle. He grabbed his shield and lifted it around until it locked at his back.

Thunk.

Her stomach nearly bottomed out.

"Captain, somebody murdered my friend, I'm going to find out why. Anyone gets in my way they're gonna regret it. Anyone."

Lindsey turned her head slowly towards Pierce, and watched the man shrug. This guy had just threatened Captain America. Her heart was pounding, her lips pressed together, and she watched Rogers pin Pierce with his own blank stare. It was a battle of wits, and Lindsey had no doubt Rogers would win this. Hell, she didn't think she would beat Rogers at this game and she was one of the most manipulative infiltrators she knew. Some said she was better than Natasha - even Natasha. She looked up at Rogers, he nodded, and his gaze went down to the floor.