One Fine Day

Fucking Facebook and it's memories. A post from two years ago pops up, the day that Charity and Ezra started their second round of IVF, both of them so full of hope and excitement. Within a year they would get pregnant naturally and have eight months of pure bliss, the anticipation of becoming parents and starting a family they had always longed and hoped for. Charity looks at the picture of the two of them, Ezra's beaming smile, she knows that he would have been an amazing father. He was an incredible uncle to his two nieces, spoiling them rotten at every opportunity he could get. Charity and Ezra spent many summers taking them to Disney World in Orlando Florida, she was certain that Ezra forgot his place at times and took on the role as their father. As fate would have it he would never get the chance to be a father, her heart aches with sadness for the life that was robbed from him. She shares the post and puts her phone down as Cece approaches her. "Hey, little sis. I'm so glad to see you, how was your vacation?" She asks, giving her a long hug. "Good to see you too, love. It was amazing, one day we should go for a long weekend together," Charity smiles looking into her sisters red, bloodshot eyes. She's clearly been crying. "Sounds lush, I was referring more towards your new guy," she replies, reaching for Charity's coffee cup and takes a swig of it. Charity blushes at the mention of Adam, they were texting all night long, more like sexting. The thought of seeing him later gives her butterflies, their week together showed Charity that she can allow herself to let her guard down with someone new. "Adam, he is very sweet," she giggles, as Cece looks on eager to find out more. "Someone's got it bad, hopefully I'll get to meet him soon," she replies. Charity nods eagerly, "I'd like that, I need my big sisters approval. So, tell me what's going on with Altman?" Cece shakes her head, tears spilling out of her eyes and down her cheeks. "Ah, Cece. Have you tried talking to him?" Charity asks gently. "He never answers my calls, I've tried calling him a bunch of times yesterday and the day before. That's when I looked to see what he was up to on Facebook and I stumbled across that Edwards girl," she croaks as Charity passes her a tissue to wipe her eyes. "I looked her up too this morning, they were only making jokes to each other. I highly doubt that he is balls deep inside her," Charity responds bluntly. "I just can't wait for him to come back so I can confront him properly, I hate all this waiting around," she sniffles as she takes her phone out of her pocket. "This wasn't the only reason I asked to meet to today," Cece says, giving her a small smile. "Oh, spit it out then," she responds. "Well, I'm going for my first baby scan today and I'd love it if you would come with me," she says, taking Charity's hand and squeezes it. "I would be honoured," she responds throwing her arms around Cece. Charity knows it's going to be heartbreaking for her to see, however, she's going to be an auntie and that in itself is so exciting. The pain of losing her son will never ever go away, the likelihood of her getting pregnant again is very slim but the joy that a niece or nephew will bring is undeniable. "Come on then, the appointment is in the next half an hour," Cece says in haste, as she grabs Charity's elbow and they quickly leave the cafe.

"Miss Engle, I'm just going to put some gel on your tummy so that we can have a look at the little one," Doctor Baldwin says gently. "I'm so excited," Charity squeals, holding Cece's hand as she looks over at her sister. She can tell that she's worried, for fucks sake Altman should be here savoring this incredible moment. "Sorry if it's a little cold, just give me one second," they both stare with anticipation at the screen waiting to see the baby. "There he is," the doctor beams excitedly as she turns the screen for Charity and Cece to get a better look. A tiny image of the baby appears making Charity burst into tears almost instantly. "Is that really my baby?" Cece murmurs, her lips quivering as she starts to cry as well. "All yours and can you hear that?" She smiles, as a light heartbeat can be heard. "This is so beautiful," Charity sobs, as she kisses Cece's forehead. "I'm so happy right now, do we get a copy of the ultrasound?" Cece asks excitedly, wishing that Philip was here to share and see this unbelievable moment. "Yes, of course you do," the doctor replies as she prints off a copy. "Right now your baby's major organs, muscles, and nerves are beginning to function. There are a few cute apps that you can download which will give you all the information you need about the different stages," she smiles, passing Cece the ultrasound as she slowly gets off the bed. "I downloaded all the apps back in the day, I'll recommend you some," Charity says to Cece as she helps put her jacket on. "You're a mom?" Doctor Baldwin asks smiling at Charity. Before she can respond Cece interjects, "My sister is and always will be an amazing mom." Charity glances over at Cece, grateful that she saved her from having to retell the painful story of Ezra and their baby. "I'm not a mom," Charity whispers to her as they go to leave. "Heaven and earth might seperate you and your son, but nothing will ever change the fact that you're his mother," Cece says grabbing Charity and hugs her tightly. God knows they've had their fair share of differences in the past but their love and support for each other is evident. "Thank you so much for coming with me, I know it must have been really difficult for you," she continues, feeling guilty. "It was the most wonderful moment for me, watching my big sister become a mom for the first time. Thank you for inviting me along," Charity responds, still in awe. "I think it's a good idea to tell the rest of the gang, don't you? Allan and Nicole are at dad and Anna's this afternoon, so it's the perfect time," Cece says, scrolling through her phone. "It might put a smile on dads face, he's really going through hell at the moment," Charity replies as she opens the passenger door for Cece. "Maybe, how is Anna by the way? I'm sorry I haven't asked," she replies as she slides into her seat. Charity gets in the other side and sighs, "When I saw her the last time she wasn't in a good place at all, she's scared that one day she will forget all of us. Especially dad and that for her is too much to take, she doesn't want him to see her deteriorate." Cece shakes her head, Anna is one of the most strongest women that she's ever known, stronger than her own mother. "I'm sorry Char, I'd like to come and see her with you if that's allowed?" She asks sweetly. "That would be great, it might do her good to see someone else rather than me all the time," Charity replies, grateful for her sisters support. "Next time you go to see her keep me in the loop and I'll be there. I haven't always made her life easy, I blamed her for mom and dads divorce but now I see that she is the best thing that ever happened to him. He used to work himself to the bone, Allan and I rarely saw him. When he divorced mom and quit his job we spent so much more time with him, it was as though Anna was the making of him. She kinda brought him back from the dead," Cece says as she gazes at the ultrasound picture. "Sometimes bad things fall apart for good things to fall into place," Charity shrugs as she turns onto the highway. "I actually have a secret to share with you," Cece grins mischievously at Charity. "Come on, I'm all ears," Charity asks anxiously.