16 take a seat

colby and cora walked in, arm in arm. her hair was a mess and her lipstick was evidently smeared. i felt tara grab my hand as i sucked in a breath.

"sorry we're late. we were... uh... busy." colby smirked. i felt my heart drop a tiny bit, everyone stealing glances at me to make sure i was okay.

"well, you're here now. sit down and have dinner with us." sam said.

"you didn't set a place for cora?" colby asked, looking my way.

"you didn't tell me she was coming." i shrugged, trying not to sound like i was upset.

"are we just gonna sit here and let him talk to her like that?" lilah asked, standing up. i was thankful that she was defending me but i didn't want colby to know how it made me feel.

"colby, this is pretty fucking low." corey said.

"ashton worked her ass off today to set up and make all of this food. how could you be such a dick to her? by the way, this is friendsgiving, not invite whoever-the-fuck-you-want-giving. take a seat, asshole." kyla defended me, making ryker high five her.

"well cora and i are here now and neither of us are leaving." he said, taking a seat at the table, motioning for her to sit on his lap. god this is going to be a long dinner.

dinner was awkward for the first few minutes and then things started to lighten up a bit. i was sick to my stomach and took maybe three bites of the food i'd spent the entire weekend making. it hurt me to know that he was doing this to hurt me. three days ago we were sleeping in his bed together and now we can't even talk to each other.

everyone was clearly on edge and i just wanted dinner to be over. after about 45 minutes, everyone was done with their food.

"i'll go get dessert." i spoke up, everyone looking at me. i didn't really say much during dinner so i guess that's why.

"i'll help you." tara said, standing with me. "are you okay?" she whispered once we got into the kitchen. the formal dining room isn't connected to the kitchen so no one could hear us anyways.

"no." i admitted. "i'm really not." i said, my voice cracking.

"come here." she said, pulling me into a hug. "listen, you're too good to be treated like shit. things will get better. colby likes you just as much as you like him... he's only doing this to make you jealous."

"he's just hurting me. tara, i really really like him. i cant handle this." i choked out, hearing the door leading to the dining room open. i broke out of the hug, turning to see corey.

corey has helped me out a lot while i battle my feelings from colby. he seems to always be there when things go bad.

"come to uncle corey." he said, holding his arms out for a hug as i laughed. i walked into his arms and he hugged me tight. "you're a bad bitch, you don't need any guys." he said, making me break out into a big grin.

"now, let's take this pie out there and pretend nothing is wrong." tara said, grabbing two of them.

"alright, i've got this." i reassured myself, also grabbing two of them as corey grabbed the pumpkin roll.

i lead the way out to the formal dining room, setting the pie on a another table so i could start cutting and serving them.

-

"you ready to go, cora?" colby asked her. she had been pretty quiet during their time here but i think we would've been friends had this not been the situation we were in. she was really pretty, however the polar opposite of myself.

she is blonde and had brown eyes and i am brunette and have green eyes. she could be a model... hell, she probably was seeing as she was hanging out with colby.

"yeah." she smiled, using his hand to help her stand up. i looked away, paying attention to ryker and corey arguing over who has better hair.

"bye guys. i'll be back later tonight." colby announced, waving to us.

"bye! it was nice meeting you all. i'm sorry i came unannounced." cora smiled. ugh, i wanted to hate her but i couldn't. this wasn't her fault and she probably had no clue what was going on between the two of us, which is apparently nothing. colby isn't the same guy who held me until i fell asleep due to nightmares. he isn't the same guy that picked me up when i had been assaulted, and he defiantly isn't the guy who kissed me on the bridge that night.

once they were out the door, everyone was staring at me. i wasn't sure if they were waiting for me to break down or to start ranting. i wasn't sure either.

"you okay?" kat finally spoke up.

"we weren't dating. there's no reason i wouldn't be okay." i smiled. it's crazy how two months ago i didn't know half of them and now they're my best friends.

elton had screwed me over, and colby was there to save me. now colby was the one screwing me over and i have to fall back onto my friends so they can deal with my problems.

"it's okay not to be okay." tara spoke up.

"you don't have to pretend baby." kyla told me, pulling me into her side.

"i'm overreacting." i laughed. "we weren't dating. i just had feelings for him and he clearly doesn't share those feelings."

"he likes you, ashton. he just doesn't think you two should be together." sam said.

"i know." i nodded. "i just wish things were different. it hurts that he can have feelings for me but be with another girl. i feel stupid." i laughed.

"don't worry, you don't sound stupid. we're all here for you. we're on your side." devyn said.