Let's Get On With It

CHAPTER ELEVEN
SUMMER
LET'S GET ON WITH IT

───★───

The dirty, moldy bar was seemingly fit for a man like Bill, a man who only cared for himself. Each of the booths were cut open and stripped of their once vibrant red colour. The blinds on all of the windows had fallen off, and some of the bricks on the wall had detached themselves. It was a sad sight to see.

"Alright, whatever supplies you may want or need, I suggest you grab them." Bill stated, gesturing to the trio of Ellie, Joel and Elva with his machete.

"Thank you." Joel replied genuinely. "Let's take a look around, see if there's anything we can use."

Ellie sighed. "Alrighty."

"Aye, aye, captain." Elva smirked sarcastically, grabbing the map off of the wooden table and folding it up, putting it in one of the pockets in her backpack.

Joel walked around as well, finding a few stray tape roles and blades. He handed them to Elva, letting her spread the supplies out on the table and fix together some simple shivs and makeshift first-aid kits.

"Can you make any weapons?" Ellie asked, gazing in wonder as her friend packed up the homemade items. She stood on the other end of the bar beside Joel.

Elva smirked. "Probably. Can you grab me that pipe?" She asked, letting the young girl walk a few meters to the side and hand her an old, rusty plumbing piece. Elva quickly fashioned a few extra blades onto the end of it, throwing it up in the air and catching it a few times.

"Found everything you need?" Bill asked, standing at the exit door.

"We're good." Joel answered, Elva and Ellie trailing behind him as Bill opened the door and walked into one of the back rooms and up the stairs.

"Don't leave the door open!" Bill yelled.

"I got it." Elva replied, shutting the door behind her as she made her way up the staircase after Joel and Ellie.

"We have to cross to the other building." Bill stated. "Let's move it."

Ellie scoffed, Joel immediately turning to her with a scornful glare. "Just stay with us." He spoke, gesturing back and forth between himself and Elva.

"Can't believe you agreed to this bullshit, Bill." The man at the top of the stairs groaned, talking to himself. "What you shoulda done was just left them back there."

"God, you guys weren't kidding about him." Ellie exclaimed.

"Yeah, he's- one of a kind." Elva replied, trying to find the right words to describe Bill. "I'll go take a look up here really quickly." She stated.

"Nothin' in there that I need." Bill spoke. "Go ahead, take whatever you want."

Joel quickly thanked him, Elva already scurrying off into another room to look for any supplies. Unfortunately, all she found was an old pair of scissors and a note-to-self left by Bill on one of the tables.

"So what kind of trouble are y'all in?" Bill asked as the four grouped back together in the main room again. "Where the hell's Tess?"

Joel's stomach dropped at the mention of his friend. "It's a job." He answered, not wanting to go into detail about where Tess had gone. "A simple drop-off." Elva placed a hand on his shoulder in comfort, knowing that he and Tess were close friends.

"What are you delivering? That little brat?"

Ellie laughed sarcastically. "Fuck you, too."

"Y'know, I hope you know what you're doin'." Bill exclaimed, turning backwards to face Joel and Elva as he leapt out one of the windows and onto a small platform.