Scars & Bruises

WARNING: controlling parent (mother), angst, (indirect) self-harm(?), curse words, Oikawa being scary (?)

The next morning, [Name] wakes up with a horrible feeling. The aftermath of her outburst is taking a toll on her body as it aches with every move. A long, woeful groan, escapes her lips as she drags herself out of bed and heads downstairs to eat breakfast. She greets her mother in a groggy manner as she sits across the elder woman on the dining table. A frown lays on her lips.

"What are those in your arms, [Name]-chan?" Her mother asks with displeasure lacing her tone. "Did you play volleyball with your brother again?"

"What are you talking about, Okasan?" [Name] asks with brows knitted in confusion. Her mother isn't the type to concern herself on trivial matters like volleyball.

"Your arms," She hisses, causing the young girl to glance at her arms before gasping in pure horror. With wide eyes, she looks at her mother with panic.

"I can explain." Her voice is small, almost quiet with disbelief. She racks her mind with reasons why she let such a simple mistake slip off like that.

"What is there to explain, [Name]-chan? I thought I made it clear that you are to not disappoint me with these sporting shenanigans." Her mother huffs as she scolds her daughter with disgust and disbelief at her piercing gaze. "I can't believe you let yourself get your soft, gentle skin tainted by such a harsh sport. Your father should've raised you better by introducing you to more eloquent activities."

[Name] bites her inner cheek as she lowers her head in apology. "I'm sorry, Okasan. I'll tend to it immediately."

"Good. I'm glad you still remember what I taught you." Her mother hums in approval before dismissing the young girl to her room. Another long, woeful groan escapes her lips as she faces herself in the mirror. Stretching out her arms, the purple bruises that decorate her skin is now in full view. Memories of her play yesterday rewinds in her head, making her curse under her breath. Her unpleasant encounter with Tōru had led her to act without thinking of the consequences. She asked Coach Tanji, determined, to play in the practice game and take the role of middle blocker. She volunteered to play in Tsutomu's team and received her brother's powerful blows. Spikes after spikes, [Name] endures the stinging feeling in her arms to feed off of her troubles. In the end, their team loses and she's left with nothing but pieces of her woes scattered through her limbs.

'I should cover these up,' She thought as she lifts her arms and analyzes her mistake. Taking the bandages inside the medical cabinet in their bathroom, she settles down on her bed. She hides away her injuries through the cloth, hoping that it will please her mother's demands—and it did. Her mother didn't comment further on her well-being and invites her for breakfast. There, they converse about their previous days and catching up with one another's life. Her mother asks about her daughter's school and she replies in short, simple answers.

"I see. I hope you take interest in extra-curricular activities in school. I heard that taking part in the student council would be a good boost to your resume." She hums in suggestion before sipping her coffee.

"I don't know if I have time to take up another club, Okasan." [Name] replies. "Washijo-sensei wants me to stay dedicated to managing his team. He says I'm an important member too."

"Oh, so you're still taking part in Wakatoshi's volleyball team?" She scoffs. "That's fine, I guess. As long as you remain as their manager, I won't oppose but if I see you playing that sport again, you know what will happen. After all, I only agreed to this whole setup because it helps your brother focus on excelling in his field. I recommend you do the same once he graduates."