16| 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚐𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚝

Happiness can't be forced and it's only so long until it disappears, leaving you chilled to the bone without its presence.

The calm mid-afternoon had turned into something more lively as the day was coming to an end, with the sun setting over us all.

More people had turned up, the throws of bodies now surrounding the fire, all with drinks in their hands and smiles on their faces. Surprisingly it felt comfortable to surrounded by all these people. Yes, I felt separated but I also felt like one, similar to everyone here with no problems that I would usually face back at home. Yes, they were at the back of my mind but I wouldn't let them take control like they usually did, not until I got home anyway.

I had a couple of drinks swirling through my veins, allowing the gentle buzz of my skin to match the light breeze in perfect harmony. I felt light.

I felt free.

Holden went off to speak to Sidney and I was by myself on the log by the fire, still entranced by its beauty, thinking about nothing and no one but the peace I was feeling, needing to feel like this.

It was only when it was properly dark, no light available apart from the flickering flames in front of me when a boy came to sit next to me on the log, infiltrating my solitude.

"Hey, I'm Walker," His voice was half husky with a monotonous southern lull, half alive with energy. I couldn't tell which was due to the alcohol and which was his usual way of speaking.

I turned to him, curiosity and something much more intense pushing me to do so.

He was slightly taller than me, a warm almond colour to his skin that seemed to flicker orange just as the flames did. He was beautiful with thick, dark lashes and a cheeky smile that complimented his full lips. The only thing missing was that spark in his eyes, that energy that Forrest seemed to emanate. His eyes were just dull but still, he was cute.

"Talor," I answered, turning to look at the flames as his leg edged closer to mine until they touched.

I wasn't ripe with goosebumps, with that spark but it was nice. It was comfortable and maybe, I needed this. For a cute guy to flirt with me, take my mind off things and although I could never have Forrest, maybe I could have him.

"Why are you sitting out here by yourself," he asked me, "you're too pretty to be sitting by yourself."

I turned to him, raising one eyebrow.

"Okay you have a point; that was corny," he grinned as his hand inched onto my leg with his eyebrow rising in a boyish manner, "I don't take the compliment back though."

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help the blush that fanned my cheeks. He wasn't Forrest, would never be but it was so nice to hear this from someone, to be called pretty, to have their entire attention on you with no bad thoughts, no pity, no anything.

I didn't know until now but needed this.

"Do you want to dance?" I asked him without thinking too deeply into it as I looked towards a couple of people drunkenly dancing to the hip hop that floated from the speakers.

"I was just about to ask," he smiled, grabbing my hand and pulling me to the people.

When we got there and he put his hand on my waist, I realised that he was as drunk as I was which was perfect. Casual touches, mismatched footsteps and a lot of glances from each other with the soft sand beneath our toes was nice.

There wasn't that deeper connection but there was attraction and I was having fun. I wasn't going to question it, think of anyone else.

When the music got a bit faster and a bit louder, he grabbed just shy of my butt with his other hand clasped on my hand in a dance position. He started mock dancing, something I couldn't help laugh at. He had a handsomely devilish smirk on his face and although we probably looked so stupid, I was having fun, laughing at the ridiculousness of it all.