Six • Synergy

The Avengers stood in the HQ watching a large, transparant screen that hung from the ceiling. On it was live footage of the former change ones, each person trapped inside their own small white cell, some pacing, others sitting on the floor with their heads stooped. They looked tired, worn and weak, a far cry from the powerful tyrants that had wreaked havoc on New York City just a day before.

"The guys at the facility wanna know what we think they should do with them," said Rhodey as he stared up at the grainy footage.

Scott thought for a moment. "Well they don't have powers anymore so..."

"Doesn't mean they're not still evil," Hope interjected.

She was wearing her sweats, hair tied back, deep shadows under her eyes. She stepped closer to the screen, bringing herself face to face with the woman who had tortured her with a single touch.

"They shouldn't walk free from this."

"I agree, I say we keep them locked up," said Rhodey. "Plus we might need them to help us find this... entity thing."

"You think they'll tell us anything?" asked Sam.

"Maybe... with the right persuasion."

"That won't be necessary," a voice came from behind them.

They turned around to see Stephen and Juno standing in the doorway.

"Sorry for dropping in like this," said Stephen.

"Portals," Juno added. "Super handy, kinda intrusive."

"What do you mean it won't be necessary?" asked Sam.

"We know where the entity is," Stephen replied. "And we know what it is."

He told them about Mephisto, about the succubus and Spencer's accidental death. The others could see the grief on Juno's face as he explained how it happened, the way she dipped her head and wandered towards the screen, watching the people she had helped capture and eyeing them carefully, almost relieved to see they were okay. They were imprisoned, but they were alive, and they wouldn't be able to harm anyone else.

"So how do we get rid of this thing?" asked Sam.

"That's actually why we're here," replied Stephen. "The only way to destroy a succubus is to attack it from the inside, make it implode on itself. Usually I'd be able to do it alone, but this one's been growing for too long; it's too big, too powerful."

"Destroy it from the inside." Scott thought for a moment. "So we could like... send in a bomb?"

"Kind of," said Juno.

They all looked at her, and one by one the dots began to connect.

"You're going inside that thing?" asked Bruce as he sat at the back of the room, still weak and recovering from the attack.

She nodded. "I think I can destroy it. But I need help."

"What do you need us to do?"

"Not you guys, just her." Her eyes flitted to Wanda.

"Why not us?" asked Scott.