Chapter 1: The Bulletin Board

"give it back caleb." eden shouted at the curly haired lanky boy, while her phone hovered over her head in his grip.

i didn't pay any mind to their antics of course. that was just them. eden and caleb, fighting all the time. sometimes it got aggressive, and that was when i stepped in. caleb really knew how to tickle her the wrong way, boys will be boys.

i found it amusing to be honest. always a great start to the morning. walking to form class was always entertaining with these two.

to be honest, i'm pretty humorous if i want to be but i'm not crazy like them. i don't like to draw attention to myself, they can be pretty embarrassing sometimes.

every morning there's always eyes following us as we stroll to form class. of course, i'm too involved with my books to really care all that much.

in the midst of all this, i decide to finally lift my head up from the pile of books in my arms to stretch my neck.

my eyes immediately land on the bulletin board plastered up next to the door of form class. usually there are just a bunch of useless after school activities, fliers for different clubs and the annual musical.

however a very bright neon yellow poster caught my attention.

it read:
FOOTBALL TRYOUTS.
cross gender. 16-17 year olds.
tryouts at hyde park.
this saturday. 30th Jan 2021.
practices: 4-6 pm every day.

my jaw dropped with excitement and my books tumbled out of my arms, catching the attention of the two stupid acquaintances i keep.

while eden and caleb scrambled to get my books off of the dirty floor, rolling their eyes at me. i ran to snatch the poster off of the board.

"GUYS. LOOK." i squealed, practically shoving it in their faces.

"omg, football tryouts! brina, you should totally do that!"
eden said, just as excited as me. her enthusiasm made me even more happy. that was the energy she carried, contagious energy.

"yeah, solid idea." caleb was never one for enthusiasm but we understood each other, and that was enough.

"AHHH. guys i'm so excited eep!" with the overwhelming amount of extra curriculars i was forced to do by my parents for my uni applications, this was the only thing that actually sounded appealing. and not like an entire waste of time.

to be honest, i only really put so much effort into my studies to keep my parents from making life more unbearable.. i didn't actually care about it at all.

i could never see myself working a 9 to 5 job, with children running around my feet and a husband who barely even hugged me. that was my worst nightmare.

i wanted to travel the world, and have a creative career. i didn't want to waste the precious time i had. after all, nothing matters, we all die eventually right?

of course i'd have to beg my parents and get on my knees for them to even consider this idea. i had already started to plan out how i would work football practice around my schedule in my head. excitement was bustling out of me, so much so that we were now late to form class.

still in the midst of all my thoughts, i felt caleb's arm on my back pushing me towards the door while the smile on my face grew.

i could barely even focus throughout my classes. teachers calling my name multiple times to get me out of my daydreaming state.

i'm not sure i even wrote down the homework for the day.
i always. wrote down the homework. i'm pretty sure ede stole my planner at the beginning of every class.

eventually i snapped out of it of course, the anticipation still lingering. you probably think i'm being dramatic, it's just football.

but, i haven't played football since my first year. after that, i was bombarded with thoughts about uni, i started taking extra classes, extra tutoring, and of course uni counseling.

football was basically pushed out of my list of priorities. i was forced to quit. this was a miracle, a long awaited miracle. i only had another year until i left for uni, there was no way i'm passing out the opportunity to play it again.

the flier sat in my bookbag all day, i was just aching to look at it again. just knowing it was sitting there, was exciting.

i couldn't wait to propose the idea to my parents, obviously i was terrified of what they might say. but there is no way i'm giving up before i persuade the two of them.

zee speaks!
ah okay first chapter? kinda sucks. it's really short i'm sorry. i'm so excited for this book EEEEEEEEK ily guys!! thank u for reading!