Part III: Antes Que Se Acabe

Somehow he ends up hosting a housewarming party. It's not his idea, or even something he really wants, but then Cesar catches wind of what Neni's trying to convince him of and starts making noise about having his friends over.

"Monse's coming home soon, we can invite her too," he insists, like Oscar has any interest in seeking the Finnie girl. Monty doesn't like either of them, which Cesar should be aware of by now, but Oscar's not going to be the one to hurt his feelings about it.

Oscar doesn't think he knows enough people to make this worthwhile, but before he knows it it's the weekend between Christmas and New Years and his house is full of people he hasn't seen in months and folks who never really left in the first place. Neni and his tía Alejandra are gossiping damn near the second they get there.

"Who introduced you?" Oscar says when he catches sight of them out back, where near everyone is corralled. The courtyard is nice; it seems like the folks in this complex aren't too interested in barbecuing, though he's said hi to a few of the neighbors as they've passed by with babies in strollers and dogs.

"Oscar, no seas malo," his tía says, and Neni nods along like she's not just as much trouble. Alejandra beckons him over so she can get a closer look at his tattoos.

"I'm so glad you're getting rid of this," Alejandra says, switching back to Spanish, her hand cool and dry where she's touching his face. "I like the hair, too."

"I lost my clippers," he says, and it's true but not the entire truth. His hair isn't nearly long enough for the curls to show up yet, though he's been rocking the buzzcut for so long it's almost odd to have this much at all. That, combined with the fading ink on him, means sometimes he doesn't recognize himself in the mirror. He's not sure what to make of it—can't tell if it's good or bad or something entirely new.

"You should shave that ugly soul patch, homie," Neni says, and his tía laughs. He scowls, straightens up.

"Keep talking shit," he says, only to immediately follow up with, "you eat yet?"

"Alejo's getting me a plate."

When she smiles, Oscar gets what the viejitas mean when they talk about pregnancy glows. Neni's right at the halfway mark, maybe more, and there's something grounded about her that wasn't there when they first started hanging out. It's hard to imagine how much has changed, or that she hasn't been around any longer than that.

Instead of saying anything about that—or something like, Hey, you know you're my best friend—he says, "Good," before asking his tía where her lazy ass daughter is.

"She went to get more soda," Alejandra says, peering at the other guests, "Adrian drove her."

Oscar looks at her. "Adrian."

His aunt doesn't look impressed. "Mijo, don't tell me you're surprised."

"Tía," he says, "that's gross."

Neni says, "I'm missing something."

"Es mi primo," he tells her, "from my mom's side. Vero's from my dad's side."

"Oh," Neni says, and then, "oh! Your cousins are dating each other. That's funny as hell."

"Neni, favor de dios," Oscar says, and Alejandra just rolls her eyes at them both.

"It's funny," Neni insists, and then, "why you hanging around here? Shouldn't you be making sure no one's knocking on your front door?"

"Who else is supposed to be here?" The Martinezes have all came by, Mario with Angelica on his arm. Sad-Eyes is on his way over with two full plates, the Turners at a table with Ruby and Jasmine. There's a girl Oscar's never met but who Cesar seemed a bit shell-shocked to introduce as Jamal's girlfriend. A few of the guys Oscar works with brought their wives and kids, and even the Finnies showed up, Cesar beaming when Monse walked through the door.