Twenty Two

"My Lord when shall we give her the mark of our people?" The women of the Caticala were standing around me like vultures. They had tracked me down the moment I returned with Estelle. They were all surprised that she was alive. Not only the Caticala, but most of the kingdom.

I was planning on bringing Estelle to our new bedchambers to rest but her sister was irate. The only reason why I did not have a guard lock her in her chambers was because I was actually in a pleasant mood. She claimed she would jump out of the window if she did not tend to Estelle before the feast. I did not mind, my dragon however minded. He wanted to of course reprimand her annoying sister.

"What?" I questioned the women, as I felt them tugging at my hair. I watched pieces fall onto the floor in a heap as they murmured ancient words under their breaths.

"The Insignis ceremony, my Prince. When will you have this take place?" It slipped my memory. Estelle would have to be...branded with the mark of my people. My crest. I have seen it happen once or twice and it was perceived to be excruciatingly painful. Only women who were not from our kingdom had to get it.

The thought of Estelle having my crest on her body sent waves of pride coursing through my system...but it would be painful most of the time their dragon partner had to be restrained while their partner received their brand. "I will speak with her about it," I told them as I felt their hands running through my now shortened hair.

My fickle hair used to be below my shoulders, now it was at my ears. It signified a new beginning with Estelle. Some men shaved their entire heads off but the Caticala claimed my hair was too glorious to cut all of it. I did not care what they did. As long as the nuisance old crows were satisfied, I was fine.

"We will talk about this later, Crown Prince. Everyone is waiting...I even think your wife has already joined in the festivities." I frowned.

Even now it felt odd to call Estelle my wife. The goal of having her seemed unattainable. As the Chase began I found her scent easily, but that lead me to the mountains. Where my behemoth and I were mad with want searing for her. I am sure we have done permanent damage to one of the mountains, but it should not have given false hope of her being there.

Once the sun set, my behemoth had calmed down. Once sunrise we had, had enough. The Chase was over and we still could not locate Estelle. I threatened Cael and even her sister to tell me where she was. They quickly announced that she was in the woods, which I checked numerous times. Then I finally ventured out far to the river where I found her satchel of items. My behemoth lead me to Estelle, behind the waterfall. I would have never thought that she would survive the fall...but she did.

"Loche, my son!"

I cringed. Instead of rushing down the hall, I turned to face my father, stumbling down the hall. I could smell the stench of mead on his lips from halfway down the hallway.

He was not influenced by the mead when he read the marriage rites. Which I could appreciate, but the moment I took off in my dragon form he was drinking. At least he waited.

"I am headed towards the hall. What?" I questioned him as he finally approached me. His eyes were hazy, his behemoth peeking through, trying to suppress the mess of a man he was tied to.

He chuckled and grabbed at my neck, pressing my forehead to his sweaty one. "My son, I know you are upset! It is better that the little fae Esiela is left alone. Those Fae women are evil I tell you!" This is the most contact I have ever had with my father, if sparring does not count.