Chapter 4

Leaving the Ministry was the easiest thing Draco had ever done. He'd harassed Granger enough for the next few years and was certain his apparation from her office would leave her with many unanswered questions, so he had happily apparated from his apparation lock point in Knockturn back to his business estate.

He returned directly to his office and made sure the doors were still secured. Blaise had the annoying habit of slipping into his office supply of aged brandy and not locking the doors after he left. As much as Draco wanted to make him pay for every bottle he stole, he typically forgot to mention it when he saw the git after. Luckily, not a single bottle of brandy was missing and the doors were securely locked.

Just like he expected, there was a hot pot of tea waiting by his desk and the file he'd told Blaise to drop by before he went into Gringotts. He took a wary sniff of the tea before pouring himself any, but was pleased to discover it was not dandelion. He allowed the pot to fill up his cup then dropped a single sugar cube in.

Draco took a seat at his desk, pulling the folder from Blaise forward so he could read it. It was short and not very detailed, but neither of them had actually had the chance to visit Luzerne yet so it was to be expected. Initial reports were always fairly bland which is why Draco preferred to get them out of the way in the morning.

A sudden sharp whistling from the room behind his office almost made him spill his tea. He cursed and set the cup aside, looking toward the hidden door he knew would open any second. Right on time, the door appeared and Blaise sauntered in with a fresh bagel.

"Have I told you how much I love that portkey system you set up?" Blaise asked, sliding onto the corner of Draco's desk. "Because it is amazing. Just hold the key in one hand and touch the portkey with the brush of your fingers and mwah—" Blaise blew a kiss into the air and sighed contentedly. "It's ingenious, really."

"You're not supposed to use it if it's not an emergency," Draco reminded him. He grabbed a nearby book and hit Blaise's thigh to get him off his desk. "The whistle is annoying and it's supposed to be a secret. Get off my desk," Draco added when Blaise did not move.

Blaise scooted further to the corner and Draco scowled at him. Just like the room had done when he arrived, Blaise whistled and shook his head in disappointment.

"Did Granger curse you when you apparated?" he asked. He took a bite of his bagel and much to Draco's chagrin, spoke with his mouth full. "I told you she'd get jealous."

"You're fucking disgusting," Draco told him, scowling at the half-chewed food in his mouth. "And get off my desk."

Blaise rolled his eyes but got off Draco's desk and slumped into a chair. He had the decency to finish his bagel before saying another word, but by then Draco had returned to skimming the file on Luzerne.

"Tell me, how did Granger react when you told her you'd already made an appointment with the goblins?"

Draco raised an eyebrow and glanced at him briefly.

"Didn't tell her," he replied. Blaise frowned and Draco ducked his head to hide a smirk. "She was in a foul mood, so I'll let you deal with that when it's your turn."

"What a shoddy mate you are," Blaise grumbled. He crossed his legs and kicked Draco's desk, but didn't apologise when Draco glared at him. "You irritated Granger and now I get to deal with her?"

"You'll be okay," Draco said. He set aside the folder and smiled at Blaise. "It'll be just like at Hogwarts, but with goblins instead of Parkinson."

Blaise snorted and summoned the teapot forward to pour himself a cup. While Draco returned to his work, Blaise idly sipped his tea and glanced around Draco's office for the next thirty minutes. At the chime of the clock, he got to his feet and fastened his robes. Draco looked up at him in confusion.