Jump The Fence

Tw: mention of cuts and harm, kidnapping, and broken legs. Description upon request if anyone needs it :)

    Virgil awoke in the stone-cold bed once again for the third time. His body was wrought with pain and all he could hear was a buzzy, high-pitched ringing in his head. He flexed his muscles except for his right leg to ensure it was all still working. Virgil sucked in a deep breath before opening his eyes and trying to move his body with all his force. He could feel the restraints against his hands and feet holding him down, but he tried anyway. To his surprise, his left hand broke free of its tie and lifted up high in the air. He gasped quietly in surprise but immediately stifled it in fear that Remus had heard. When no one entered the room after a few seconds, Virgil carefully sat up and looked around for any form of escape. He eyed down the door, it seeming to be his only option.

As he was taking one last sweeping look around, he saw a small table with just a knife and rope on it. He forwent the rope and grabbed the pocket knife instead, thinking his luck had finally returned.

Virgil poked his head out of the door, trying to observe any exits or people waiting for him. When it seemed like no one was there, he walked in a way that he hoped was quiet. Turning a corner, he saw a clock that read, “2:17 am.” He nodded to himself and continued down the hall, surprised at the lack of security. However, as Virgil turned a corner, he realized it was a dead end, but not before seeing a curled up form before him, arms chained to the wall. When the person heard Virgil’s footsteps, his head shot up, his red and puffy eyes exposing the true pain he felt.

Virgil stooped low to the person’s level, observing his tattered sweater and body. “Hello?” he whispered as quietly as he could.

The boy’s eyes widened as he huddled in further. Virgil sighed and looked around the cell, trying to think of an idea on how to free him. The boy’s cries had settled by now, and he seemed to be watching Virgil, having some trust in him.

“Here,” Virgil said suddenly, taking out the pocket knife and attempting to snap the metal wire holding the cuffs to the chain. After much yanking and pulling, one arm fell free. Virgil continued to work at the second as the boy looked at the welts left there. It took longer than Virgil would have liked, but eventually, the other arm was free and the boy stood up on wobbly legs.

“Don’t be dead weight or I’m leaving you.” Virgil was firm with his words, despite his quiet volume. The other one nodded and followed as Virgil left the cell, stepping in front of Virgil, waving forward and saying what Virgil could assume was “follow me.” He did as told, watching the other boy’s lips move but not hearing his words. Virgil gently tapped his shoulder and put a finger to his own lips before pointing to signal them forward. The other blushed in embarrassment and continued, Virgil observing his limp on his right leg, similar to his own.

They rounded a corner, revealing a door with a small window showing natural sunlight. Both boys lit up, the shorter one more than the other. Virgil cut the metal wire holding the lock on the door before turning to the other, “Run, okay? I’m not waiting for you if an alarm goes off or this is loud.”

He nodded, confidently facing the door, saying something that fell of deaf ears as Virgil pushed the door open and started running. The pain in Virgil’s leg was immeasurable, searing up into the rest of his body. He watched as the other boy followed him, albeit a bit slower. He seemed to be in just as much pain, but also gripping the arm on the same side. Luckily, the other hadn’t reacted to an alarm, so Virgil assumed one didn’t go off in them opening the door, but they had a ways to go until town, but it was still visible in the distance.

The two boys ran and ran, adrenaline pumping the whole way, not allowing them to slow or feel the true extent of their pain. They ran into town after what felt like hours and kept to the shadows, their dirty clothes and beaten bodies being dead giveaways to their condition. Virgil did not want to cause a scene nor attract police, he just wanted to get home to Patton. He was sure he was worried sick by now.

Virgil let out one last huff of air and turned onto his street for the first time in three days.

A/N
Sorry for the long wait, life happened!