33 | sasha

Today was probably one of the best days of my life.

Whenever Leilani asked me what my dream date would be, I would always be stumped and settle on 'probably just hanging out at home'. But Theo had planned a day of visiting museums, browsing bookstores and even meeting up with Leilani and Deandre at Lake Ontario for a sunset picnic later in the day. 

"I love history," Theo declared as we exited yet another museum. "Sorry, I'm not boring you, right?" 

"Not at all," I giggled. "I find it fascinating as well. Whenever I visited a historic site, I would get mad at my Dad for speed-walking through." 

He grinned and adjusted the tote bag filled with books on his shoulder. I bit my lip. "I can carry my books, you know." 

He huffed a laugh. "I can manage, too. Come, let's go visit my Dad."

Theo drove us to a cemetery near a church, then led me by the hand. We reached the grave, that had fresh flowers placed in front of it. 

Theo grinned. "Looks like Willow visited, too." 

I gave his hand a squeeze. "How's she doing?"

"She's never been happier. We're all mostly adjusted, thankfully. Anyways, hi Dad. This is my girlfriend, Sasha Li."

"Hello, Uncle Michael. Theo's a really good kid, so I hope you're proud of him. I'm so lucky to have met him." 

Theo beamed, and continued to share stories about us. There were some tears, but by the end of it, he exhaled with a smile. "Phew. Well, that was cathartic. My phone is also buzzing, so I think that's Lani texting asking where we are."

Lake Ontario was one of my favourite places for relaxing, especially in this warmer weather. Surrounded by fresh air, watching the calm water, gazing at the city skyline in a distance. Once we were in the area, I FaceTimed Lei, who was rather unhelpful with pinpointing exactly where they were, but we eventually found each other with the help of amused people passing by. 

I flopped down onto Leilani's picnic mat. "That's enough embarrassment to last me a lifetime."

"You say that every time," she scoffed. "Anyways, we've got the food." 

"Thanks," Theo beamed, sitting down next to me. 

"This is actually a really nice spot," Deandre mused. 

"Yeah, we should come here more often, especially before you three leave," I agreed. 

"Sounds like a plan," Leilani gushed. "Theo, I heard that you're starting another film project?"

"Yep, I've gotten in contact with our Canadian speed-skating pride Isabel Harley, who won Gold at the Youth Olympics. She's from Vancouver, but she'll be coming over to Toronto long before we head off, so it's perfect timing." 

"That's exciting -- can't wait. You know what else I can't wait for? Senior prom!" 

I raised an eyebrow. "Have you decided on your dress yet?" 

"Not yet," she wailed. "I'm usually not this indecisive." 

Theo chuckled and regarded me. "What about you?"

"I've long decided on a dress -- it's red, and the design is kind of a modern take of the qipao." 

His gaze softened. "Bet you look amazing in it." 

I blushed. We settled into comfortable silence, watching the serene water as Leilani brought out the tissues and food. She glanced around. "So, Sasha, Theo, what did you guys end up doing before this?"

"Museums and bookstores," I announced contentedly. 

Leilani crinkled her nose. "Nerds. Deandre and I went rollerblading -- we're clearly the cooler duo." 

Deandre poked her side. "Don't be rude."

She flinched away, giggling. "Hey, that was ticklish!"

There was a knowing pause where challenging eye contact was made, then all havoc broke loose.

They sprung up and started chasing one another around the bench, attempting to tickle each other. Theo and I had the time of our lives laughing and recording them, thoroughly entertained. Although Leilani was tiny, she sure was fast, and they called a truce about five minutes later of intense laughter. 

"Could we play some music and dance?" She asked suddenly. "I'm in the mood for a slow dance right now. Put the school waltz lessons to use. Sasha, Theo, stop laughing, get your asses over here too."

Before we could protest, she was already scrolling through her playlist and testing music on shuffle. She then grabbed Deandre's arm and directed his arms onto hers. Deandre wasn't a dancer, but he made the effort to keep in sync with her swaying. 

Theo nudged me cheekily. "Let's not leave them hanging, but no promises that I won't trip or step on your feet."

I sighed dramatically but allowed him to pull me onto my feet. "Do you not remember how to waltz?" 

He chuckled and lightly placed his hand behind my shoulders. "How could I forget Mrs.Rayana grilling us? I'm just a little nervous because it's with you." 

I rolled my eyes. "Cheesy." 

He winked. "You already know that you have that effect on me, Sasha Li."

"I have a random question," I murmured.

"Yeah?" 

I decided to go for it. "Have you ever been in love before?"

"Whoa, I didn't expect that," he teased, but then replied seriously. "It was some time ago. I had just lost my Dad, and that girl was there for me. So, in my vulnerability, I fell fast. She wasn't emotionally available, though. So to answer your question, yes, but just once."

I looked at him incredulously. "Theo Atkinson? In love just once?"

"Is it so hard to believe it?" He chortled, then brushed a hair away from my face. "Okay. Not just once. I'm in love now, too."

I froze, my heart pounding in my ears. "What?"

His eyes twinkled. "I love you, Sasha Li."

I gaped at him, he tapped the side of my head playfully. "Hold your horses in there. You don't have to say anything back. I just wanted to let you know."

That snapped me back to reality. "Sorry, I just... don't really say that. Lei's forced me, sometimes, but..."

"Don't stress, Sasha. You're already getting better with expressing affection."

"But I do love you."

He paused right then. "Wai -- what -- Sasha --"

"How could I not?" I laughed shyly. 

He looked down at me, his dark brown eyes glowing amber in the light. Excitement, mixed with certainty and hope, filled the little space that was between us. "We need our own version of a cut-the-ribbon ceremony."

I raised my eyebrows. "Dramatic much?"

He smiled and leaned his face close to mine. "Just this."

And with that, our lips met.

Who knew where life would take us, or how our journeys would go, but for once, I let go of all the worries, and never felt more free.  

***

Author's Note:

THANK YOU FOR READING! 

It's sort of awkward to say this about my own characters, but I've really enjoyed writing about Sasha and Theo, as well as Leilani and Deandre. I wanted to capture the feelings of growing up in the context of high school, as it was a tough period of my own life, but I'm grateful to have grown into the person I am today. Here's to growing even more! 

Please stay tuned for my university series, exploring even more learning-to-adult themes, starting with Isabel Harley ;)