Chapter 4 - Memories

Wow, I updated? Something must be up. No, I just have way to much time on my hands. Enjoy this installment of stars. <3

Penelope

The rest of the week flew by, we showed Ricky all the best parts of Chicago. We went skiing, hiking, we rode horses, went to all the best coffee shops, and so many museums. Before I knew it, it was Friday. It was nice, having a brother for a week. All of the sudden I think of Colin. I walk over to the picture of him and Mama on my nightstand and smile a little, tears in my eyes.

June 3, 2012

I only remember the day vaguely. I don't know if it was because I was so young or because I've tried to block it out of my memories. Or a combination of both.

"Bye, Mommy! Bye Colin! Have a good time at soccer!" I said, hugging my big brother.

"Are you sure you're okay with taking him? I know your headaches have been getting worse." Daddy said, leaning down to kiss Mommy on the cheek.

"I'll be fine, Todd. You don't need to worry about me."

"Okay, honey. Just be careful. Love you."

"Love you. Colin, honey, stop sitting on the ball, you're going to let all the air out." Mommy scolded, then gave me a hug. "Love you, Pen. When we get back, I'll finish reading The Giving Tree to you, okay?"

"Okay, Mommy." I replied.

"Bye, Colin. Go beat the Tigers!"  Daddy cheered as Mommy and Colin got into the car.

"I'll try, Daddy! Bye, Pen!" He said to me, waving as he said it.

If I had known that would be the last time I saw them, I would have hugged them for longer.

Daddy then took my hand and led me inside. 

"Come on, Pen, lets color."

"Yay, coloring!" I squealed happily, as even then, art was my favorite thing in the world.

After coloring for about 20 minutes, Daddy got a phone call. I remember seeing the color drain from his face. Five minutes later we were in the car, with still no explanation.

"Daddy, what's happening?" I ask, silence as my reply. I got even more scared when we arrived at the hospital.

Daddy ran up to the front desk and said something too quietly for me to hear. The receptionist told daddy a number, and he took off, half running, half walking. He burst into a room, and I gasped.

Mommy was there, her eyes closed burn marks on her face. Colin was lying in the bed next to her. He looked almost as if he was sleeping. Daddy took Mommy's hand, then Colin's, tear streaming down his face.

"Don't go, don't leave me, please. Please." Daddy whispered, which made me even more alarmed than I already was. I then heard two beeps my piano teacher would have described as staccato, and then one long, whole note. Daddy started sobbing, and though I didn't know what was happening, I didn't like seeing Daddy cry.

I think that was the only time I've ever seen my father cry. 

I tried to comfort him by going over and hugging him, but he just sobbed bigger. Not louder, just bigger. His movements were bigger.

"Diana." Daddy never uses Mommy's real name. Then it hit me. It hit me like a truck.

"Daddy?"