oii.

ii.

"Alvin! Oh, look at how big you've gotten!" Grandma Myra scooped up two handfuls of Al's back fat, "You're losing weight, there used to be so much more."

She quickly let him go and ran over to the sink, "You came just in time, I'm about to make something to eat. Why don't you and your sister have a seat and I'll get you something going."

Al blushed and rubbed where she held him, "Momma Myra, I don't think--"

"Have a seat Alvin." He closed his lips and went straight towards the living room couch, he knew better than to argue with her.

"Missy, are you hungry?" Missy sat on the couch adjacent to him; she nodded her head. They've spent the last 8 hours driving from state to state, there was absolutely no time for rest, "Grandma Myra is making something to eat."

Missy smiled and kicked her feet. She giggled and stood up to spin around and as she finished, Granddad Henry scooped her up in his arms and tossed her into the air. She squealed in delight and giggled comically, it seemed as if all the terror she had beforehand washed away. Al was glad. He hadn't heard a siren since he's been in the field and the news station was covering an alien attack that was on the other side of the world. It seemed as though they had a little more time on their hands. Missy was placed back on the floor and the pads of her feet curled inward. Enough years of babysitting told Al that Missy was happy and it sent a cold feeling to his gut. They won't be here for long, they couldn't. They had to go somewhere safe, but the entire eight hour ride left him thoughtless, what if there was nowhere to go?

"What if there's nowhere to go?" Al turned back to his grandmother. She poured her flour and baking soda into a small bowl, tossed in a pinch of salt and continued to whisk it together. "What if there's nowhere to go? I mean, Missy is happy here. Missy loves you guys, I can't take her from here, I have no place else to go."

Grandma Myra poured her flour mix into her electric stand mixer. She was making cookies. "Momma Myra, we have no where else. Look, I know they're heading our way now, but eventually they'll be everywhere. Wouldn't it be more peaceful to stay here and have fun with all of us together? Before, you know."

She turned off the stand mixer and wiped her hands against a nearby towel, "Now Alvin, I don't want to ever hear that come out of your mouth again, you understand?"

Al sighed and ran his hand through his hair, "I know but, we can't run away forever."

She grabbed both of his hands firmly and looked him in his eyes, "Now, don't you start talking like that. I love both you and your sister as much as y'all love me, but you can't stay here and pretend like nothing is happening. As long as you've got your sister and you got some land, you'll have a place to call home."

"Now Momma, you know it's not that easy--"

She slapped his wrists and turned away from him, "Stop it, I don't wanna hear any more excuses from you. You're all I have left Al."

Another wave of sadness blew through his body. Al. It's the nickname his mom gave him when he was younger and Grandma hated it, she felt as if Al was short for Alan or Albert, that Alvin was just as good on its own. He balled his fist and looked at the older woman. Her face was wet with tears and her grip was tight on the towel she used earlier. His grandmother was such a strong woman, seeing her upset like this told Al that he couldn't disappoint her. He sighed and relaxed his hands, moving in closer to hold her. He put his head on her shoulder, a gesture she used to do when he was younger and angry at the world. It always seemed to calm him down.

"Al baby, I wanna see you and your sister flourish, but I guess now is not the time," She wiped her face and held his arms a little tighter, "Your granddad and I--we've already put that behind us. Don't give out on us yet, we've still got a little more time. Continue our name Alvin, make sure I have a life after this one."

Al rocked her side to side, sent a gentle kiss to her forehead, "I'll keep Missy and I safe. I'll make sure that she'll grow taller than you, and learns how to bake and that she'll have a boyfriend and they'll get married and--"

"That's too much Alvin," her sobs slowed, "That's too much to put on you. We might not make it that far, but I just don't want you to stop here. Promise me that you'll leave her, promise me that you'll keep going and that you won't stop here."

"I promise Ma," he held his weeping grandmother tighter, "I promise."

And as they embraced, the joyous laughter of Missy filled the silence around them and Al knew he had a reason to keep going.