18.

December 15; 10:03pm

She's nervous today. She's a little nervous every day, but it's grown the closer she has to Malfoy. It's not fear, exactly, but worry. She keeps herself from the what ifs, because she knows that road doesn't lead to a place she likes to travel to. She would feel better if she was there too. She would feel worse, but she would feel better at the same time, for different reasons. Malfoy's alone inside the revival. It only takes a slip of one second for them to catch on to him, and they aren't the sort that lets a person go home. Tonight will be more dangerous than normal, and if he doesn't get it right...

She looks up from spinning the bracelet on her wrist, the gem that connects her to the Portkey around his neck, as he comes down the hallway. He looks more careless than normal, and she's learned by now that it means he's more nervous than usual. If she looks away from him, she'll look back to find his eyes glazed over as he stares into space.

"Are you ready?"

He nods, checking his cufflinks, and then pulls his robe from over the chair.

"The logs are in the safe. You're sure you have the right combination?"

"Unless he changes it every day, yes."

"If he finds you, Petrify him and bring him here. We'll bring in professional Obliviators and plant memories in his mind."

"I know." He pulls the robe on, then works on the buttons. "I'm not going to copy the information. I'll look at the documents, then you can retrieve it from the memory. It might not be all of the logs. It could just be the ones that are delivered to him."

"As long as it's something, we'll work with this for now. We'll see by the number of logs if it's likely all of them, and you can dig around to see if people have delivered them elsewhere. If we find the objects in these logs that the commanders have mentioned before - the one that burns, the one that blinds and such - it's probable that we got all of them."

He nods, smoothing his hands over his robe to ease out the wrinkles, and picks a fuzz from the arm. She stands, pulling out the wand from her briefcase, then holds it out to him. She doesn't know what else to say, and there are a few things she wants to do, but none she will.

His head tilts after a moment of looking at her, and she schools her expression, straightening up. "If it's too much, activate the Portkey. If you can't, do what you can to pace. If I see you go back and forth a few times, I'll pull you out. Be quick, and be safe."

The wand spins between his fingers, and he doesn't respond as he turns, walking for the door. She watches him from the window until he disappears.

December 17; 7:20am

Her bra drops to the floor, and his hands leave her breasts for her waist as she kicks her knickers off. His teeth skim her bottom lip, and then his tongue dips over the curve. She slides her hands down his sides, the bumps of his hips, and to the band of his shorts. Her touch is more sure this time, but she's still overwhelmed with him, and the rush of her blood, and the way he makes her feel.

After the last time, she had thought it might be the end of it like this. But that time when she had ran from him in the snow and he caught her, he had been smiling when he kissed her, and she thought it wasn't the end to anything at all. There's something about that that excites and scares her at the same time, but she's somehow always sure under the touch of his hands. She had been the one to kiss him now, and he hadn't left her time to rethink it.

Malfoy steps forward, making her step back, her legs meeting the edge of the bed. He presses her further, arm anchoring around her.

"Wha." She turns her head. "Wait, I..." She looks over at the door, licking the tingle in her lips, and then down at the bed. "I, uh..."