26. When doubts sets in...

"Maaamaaa..." Sam started calling for Lilly as he stretched his arms towards his mother in hopes that she would come running to him.

His face was drenched with tears and was turning red every second. It was then when Lilly finally lost it.

But before she could say anything Arthur interrupted, "Elsie, give the boy to Lilly. If he didn't stop crying then it will become difficult for him to breathe."

"But Arthur-"

"Elsie," Arthur called in a stern voice. "Give the boy back to Lilly."

Finally, Elsie resigned. Just as Lilly was about to take the toddler Ashton interrupted.
"Let me hold him. Have you brought his extra change of clothes?"

"Yes. It's in the car."

"Call the driver. He will bring it."

Within the next 60 seconds, Lilly had Samuel's change of clothes in her hands and she was glad that she had brought it with her. Sam was still sniffling in Ashton's neck as he hugged him tightly. Ashton tried to console the baby by rubbing his back gently and bouncing him slowly on his arm.

"It's alright, Sam. I'm here." He assured the toddler ignoring the death glares he was getting from Elsie. He wasn't a small boy anymore. He wasn't going to give in to her death glares again. Those times had passed.

Lilly helped Sam change into a fresh pair of clothes. He was looking really tired and frustrated after all that crying so Lilly suggested, "I am already full so you please continue with your dinner and I will take Sam out for some fresh air. It's already time he goes to bed and that's why he is feeling tired."

"It's alright." Arthur agreed.

More than a necessity it was an excuse that Lilly had given. She thought maybe it was her presence that was making it difficult for Arthur to talk to his son so she wanted to leave them alone for a while in hopes that the father and son duo will talk their problems.
Other than that she was already full and couldn't handle the dinner surrounded with that heavy atmosphere.

So she took Sam in her embrace as he rested his head on her shoulder and headed towards the garden.
"It's alright, baby. I have got you." she cooed to the baby hoping for him to calm down and fall asleep quickly.

Ashton was now left alone with the old couple. He had lost his appetite the moment he had left his house and sat in the car to come to this hell again. At this moment just thought of sitting again on the dining table and going through that torture of pretend 'eating with good family' again was nauseating. He would rather spend his time pondering over the data sheets he never really liked than to sit here and pretend happy family again.

The thought of following Lilly and Samuel to the garden seemed more pleasing. Without looking at the old couple he said, "You both can continue with the dinner. I am full so I'll just follow Lilly and Sam to the garden."

But before he could take a step further Elsie's voice interrupted him.
"I know what you are trying to do Ashton. But I won't let you succeed."

This house was always a part of his worst of nightmares. He could still remember the child who used to sit in a corner of his room and cry at the loss of his mother. Cry for the loss of a family he now doubted ever existed. But he wasn't a child anymore and he wasn't going to lose anything or anyone to Elsie anymore.

He turned around and looked into her eyes. "What are you trying to say?"

" I know you don't want me to take Sam's custody."

"Haven't you already given up on his custody?" Ashton questioned even though he was well aware of the fact that Elsie wasn't one of those who gave up easily on anything that she thought belonged to her.