wildest dreams

this is a wilbur oneshot! inspired by "wildest dreams" by taylor swift. i highly recommend listening while u read. oh and btw the oc name is abbey, since i originally wrote this for a friend. hello abbey ik ur reading whats up, play minecraft with me 👍
anyways, enjoy!

"come with me."
"what?"
"come with me. leave, escape out of this place."
he looked down at you, sand in his hair and sun breaking through the curls.
"you know i cant do that." you sighed.
"i know you want to."

you woke up. you were sweating, heart racing. you reached up to rub your eye and noticed your face was wet with tears. you couldn't keep doing this.
why did you let him go.
you closed your eyes, trying to sink back into the dream.

"say you'll remember me?"
"always."
"i love you abbey."
you turned away.
"goodbye, wilbur."
you watched as he walked away, taking your heart with him.
"i love you too." you whispered.

it was too late. he was gone, taking part of you with him. you needed to get away, away from the memories, the pain. the feelings.
you shot out of bed, grabbing your keys. it was 2 am and for the first time in a while, you had motivation. motivation to get the hell out.

you were in pajamas, but you didn't care. you ran to your car, taking only your phone and house keys. you started the engine and sped down the road. you were leaving. leaving, like you should have all those months ago when he asked you to. who CARES about work, or responsibility, or family. all you cared about was him.

you drove in silence for a while until deciding to turn on the radio.

"say you'll remember me, standing in a nice dress staring at the sunset."

you let the music overtake you.

"in your wildest dreams.."

suddenly you were crying. you were speeding at 2 am, crying your eyes out in pjs. you were a mess. he was the only thing that kept you together, but now he was gone.

gone.

and then you found yourself getting out of the car, walking barefoot through the grass until it slowly turned into sand. you sat down, in the middle of the beach.

"WILBUR! WHAT ARE YOU DOING."
you whipped around, to be met with the man towering above you, grinning. he had sand in one hand and the other was covering his mouth, as he laughed.
"IM- IM SORRY- HAHAHAHA YOUR FACE"
"william gold. did you just put sand in my bathing suit."
he looked down at you, eyes sparkling with laughter.
"maybe-?"
"I HATE YOU." you chased him across the sand, until you both fell down from laughter.

you were holding hands, watching the sunset. he was staring at you. you looked over.
"what?"
"hm?"
"your staring."
"oh- sorry. girl pretty, boy like." he said with a grin.
"your an idiot, wilbur."
"your the one who's in love with an idiot, so really who's dumber."
"shut up."

"i love you."
"i know."
"come on, abbey. say it back."
"or.."
you rolled over, so he was spooning you. you smiled and pecked his lips.
"damn, stop trying to distract me."
"is it working?"
"maybe." he laughed.
"good."

tears. sobs echoing on the walls. you didn't want to be here. anywhere. you wanted to escape this stupid little city. you banged on the floor.
and then he was there, rubbing your back and telling you it was going to be ok. and you believed him.

you shouldn't have believed him.

because now you were on a beach at 2 am, the same beach you had fallen in love on. except now you weren't in love, you were in tears. sinking into memories from months ago that meant nothing now. it was too late.

"its too late for us."
"abbey, don't say that."
"i messed it all up. i'm sorry wilbur."
"you didn't, i swear. it'll be ok."
"it will NEVER be ok, wil. you know why? because i'm stuck here, and i'm never getting out. i'm not destined for that. you are, wilbur. you're gonna be great."
he looked down at you, eyes red from tears.
"then fuck destiny. come with me."

and you had said no. to the love of your life. because of what, destiny? he had been right. fuck destiny. you were leaving. everything. you couldn't go back to him, he probably hated you. so you would restart. erase the memories. the pain. everything. even the good ones. it was over.

everything was over. you got up, going back to the car. you started driving home, to get everything you needed. and then you were going. forever.

you didn't notice something missing on your drive home. as you packed your clothes, you didn't notice when a phone buzzed on the beach. arriving at a hotel miles away, you didn't notice when the screen of that phone lit up with a message.

wil
i'm coming back for you abbey.