Chapter 1 - Born to It

Prologue

Prologue

From the Journal of Captain Thomas Husher

August 20, 1890

I would now bid that cursed ship farewell. A swift parting from its wooden husk and all the flailing madmen and rotting corpses upon its deck and within its hold.

Sharp I was. Like a blade. Slipping from the porthole by night along the ropes and into the waters to swim to the docks. No one saw. At least no one alive or aware enough to tell of my treachery.

I made way to the shore. It was with me​. It being the source of all my woes. The author of my ruin.

I do not know why it spared me. It had called to me as it had the others, yet my mind did not yield as did theirs. I did not succumb, and instead endured the endless noise. A pounding like dull thunder or a distant cannon, but with an unholy rhythm that made it more of a torment than a sound.

From the moment we picked it up with our cargo in Greece, till now as I carried it ashore to America, it has tortured me. For what purpose I know not.

Yet it pulls me forth to this new land, ever forward, marching toward a place I have not yet seen, yet fully recognize.

It has given the place a name and burned it into my brain so that I could not forget, even had I marshaled all of my willpower towards such an enterprise.

It has named the place, "The Crossroads."

Chapter 1Born to it

Chapter 1
Born to it

June 18, 1968
Compita, Indiana

It's stupid, the way these things start. A man tries to run away from his old life, only to make a new life that's the exact same story. He stumbles through the same idiotic mistakes, turns down the same dead end paths, and ends up exactly in the same stupid place he started.

But it's not his fault.

Fate is more interested in good stories than good men. She'll fight men. Beat them. Make them cry like little boys. Then kiss them till everything's better, just so she can start all over again.