Chapter 6: Superpower Behind the Mountains

"Does this mean we're fucked?"

"We just might be. Reed, try again."

"This is Ringleader. I repeat this is Ringleader. Please respond."

The team has been trying to communicate with the Entesian military, which should have responded by now. It's been a little over half an hour, and so far, they have received no response.

"Maybe they're late."

"They better be."

"If only they hurried up with those damn satellites."

"Soon."

The big obstacle that the team faces is the lack of communication capabilities. Because Entesia has been in isolation for a good portion of its existence, communication technology never expanded outside its borders. No undersea cables are stretching across the ocean floor from continent to continent, and space technology has only recently begun to take shape. Entesia has already launched a few satellites into orbit, but they are not yet operational and need time before they can be utilized by units in the field.

It would be convenient for radio waves to travel from Scorcia straight to Entesia, but the curvature of Adon makes it an impossible dream. To temporarily solve the problem, the Entesian Navy came up with a rather interesting idea. Luckily for them, the size of the navy and the other military branches grew exponentially as a result of the Reagan era. His six hundred ship navy plan carried over to a lesser extent, and warships have been in construction for decades.

They plan to periodically deploy warships, including a small number of aircraft carriers, at regular intervals across the ocean. Carrier launched aircraft would get close to Scorcia to pick up Ringleader Team's signal and transmit it to the carrier, who would then relay it to the next warship. The idea is to bounce communications from warship to warship all the way to the mainland.

But today, it seems like the navy is late as the team looks on in frustration at the night sky.

Suddenly, the radio crackles, and a voice comes through, much to the relief of everyone.

"FRAG: Ringleader, come in. This is the ERS Robert McNamara of the Entesian Navy. Do you copy?"

When hearing the voice through the radio, everyone smiles and giggles at each other as if they dodged a bullet. They aren't screwed, after all.

"Yes, this is Ringleader, we copy."

.

.

Six hundred miles east, flying at over twenty-five thousand feet above the ocean, is an E-2 Hawkeye. It is essentially invisible in the night sky, impossible to spot with the eyes as it perfectly blends into the sky.

The plane sports a blue camouflage paint scheme as opposed to being gray. It is the decision of Entesian officials to make widespread use of camouflage in all branches of the military. They reasoned that camouflage would be paramount in a world where the enemy doesn't have radar and relied on visual detection.

The radar dome on top of the E-2 continues to spin as the propellers and engines emit its distinct buzzing noise that travels throughout the night sky. After a while of flying, the plane banks to one side and turns away. It is now heading east on its long journey back to its home: the ERS Robert McNamara.

An Entesian built Nimitz-class nuclear aircraft carrier.

The sound of the propeller-driven aircraft fades, and the E-2 disappears into the night sky. But it isn't quiet. To the ignorant listener, it only worsens. With no storm or lightning insight, the sounds of distant thunder are heard from two distinct sources. Only one thing could explain the strange noise. It is the ear-shattering roar of jet engines.