xxiv. 𝓡𝐄𝐀𝐋 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐄𝐒.

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────
ɴᴏᴠᴀʟɪsᴇ.
"𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐋𝐄𝐓 𝐌𝐄 𝐆𝐎, 𝐖𝐄'𝐋𝐋 𝐌𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐀𝐆𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐒𝐎𝐎𝐍.
𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐖𝐀𝐈𝐓, 𝐖𝐀𝐈𝐓, 𝐖𝐀𝐈𝐓 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐌𝐄

"𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃.
𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐒𝐄𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 I 𝐅𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐀𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏."
ɴᴏᴠᴀʟɪsᴇ.
───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

𝓣he first night is always the hardest, that's what Happy told her on the ride back home from the hospital.

There was a hole in Jaylanie's heart that will never be filled for as long as she lived. She didn't understand why this was happening to her. She didn't understand why she was given this life — this brutal, heartbreaking, confusing life.

Maybe he'll wake up in the morning.

Steve was the one that pulled each stone out of his hand, the one that carried him. Stephen was the one who transported Pepper, Steve, Tony, and Jaylanie to the hospital. Pepper stayed overnight with Tony and she thought it'd be better for Jaylanie's mental health, to leave and go home to rest. She agreed, but seeing her father in that hospital bed, hooked up to all different types of machines made Jaylanie want to do unforgivable things to herself.

As Happy pulled up to the driveway of their cabin, Jaylanie let out a deep sigh, looking out of the window. It was 1:56 am, her father in the hospital. She didn't know why. He was already gone, but Pepper insisted that they take him. At least she had hope.

There was a moment of silence before Jaylanie spoke up. "I miss them. I miss them so much." Jaylanie broke down in tears, covering her face as Happy laid a comforting hand on her shoulder, squeezing it ever so often.

"I miss 'em, too—"

"Everything reminds me of them, Happy," she peeled her hands away from her face, leaning her head back on the headrest of the car, letting the tears stream down the side of her face. "Every. Single. Thing." Jaylanie turned her head to look at Happy, tears in his eyes as well.

"Your parents were my best friends. Those two together were...oof!" He chuckled and Jaylanie did, too. "Absolute hotheads and they second-guessed everything. The one thing they didn't second-guess was having you," Jaylanie looked down at her hands and then back to Happy. "I don't think they would've done what they did if they didn't know you were gonna be here after they were gone,"

Jaylanie stood quiet as Happy spoke. He always knew the right things to say. "Life ain't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. Especially the life you were born into. Your parents tried their absolute hardest to keep you away from it, but things happen and they happen for a reason. You're an Avenger. An Avenger's purpose is to save people and you guys did exactly that. It came with a price, but trillions are now alive, thank to you guys,"