Chapter twenty-five Another Chance at Life

Chapter twenty-five

Another Chance at Life

“No, no this is all wrong.” The sale associate threw his hands in the air and marched off to go dig through the racks for something that as he put; looked decent enough for me to walk out of the store in. Because god forbid I walk out of his store looking dingy.

He was right though, nothing was fitting right. I started at my image in the mirror, disgusted by all the extra fabric. Luke moved up behind me and hugged me gently. Even though it had been over a week since the alley incident, I was still pretty bruised up and Luke was careful not to hurt me. He turned me around. I had notice that he always found some way to distracted me whenever he caught me looking at myself in a mirror.

“It’ll be fine.” He kissed my cheek and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. “We’ll just buy a couple things until you gain the weight back.”

I didn’t respond. Glancing over my shoulder, I never felt so insecure. I had always been on the thinner side, but I had always felt comfortable with my body. I guess before I could hide the fact of what I was: a filthy whore. Now I was reminded every time I saw my reflection that I was nothing but street trash.

“Can we go?” I said softly.

Luke nodded. “Go change, while I talk to the sales guy.”

Going into the dressing room, I pulled off the shirt and ran my hand along the dulling bruises. Some had faded to yellowish green while others were still a mixture of purples and blues. I took off my pants and stood there for a moment only wearing the briefs Luke had bought for me. My body was look slightly better than the day Luke had brought my home, but I still look like a sickly homeless kid.

“Gavin,” said Luke with a knock. “Can I come in?”

I opened the door for him and went back to examine myself.

Luke let out a deep breath and wrapped his arms around me. “You shouldn’t do this to yourself.” He turned me around. “You’ve already gained seven pound. You should be proud of that.”

“I’m still disgusting.” I pressed my forehead to his chest and stared at the floor. 

He lifted my chin with a finger. “You’re get better and better everyday.” His eyes ran down my form. “And look most of the bruising is already fading.”

I nodded, not in the mood to argue about this again.

“I bought these for you.” He grabbed a bag he had dropped in the hall and handed it to me. 

Taking out a shirt, I pulled it over my head and put on a some jeans. I had to hold the band up so they wouldn’t fall off. I really hated that I was too tall to wear a waist that fit, or more like I was too skinny.

Luke produced a belt from the bag and thread it through the loops. He pulled it tight around me, bunching up all the extra fabric. I look stupid, like a little boy trying to fit in his big brother’s handy downs. Luke did his best though to smooth things out. He fixed my shirt, so it hid it before handing me a jacket. 

I smiled as I took it from him. “Thanks.”

Luke gave me one in return. “I know you’re a jacket person.”

I put it on and zipped it up while he gathered up everything else. It did make me feel a little better as it hid the fact that I was practically a skeleton. Luke fixed the hood before taking my hand and leading the way out of the dressing room towards the exit. 

“Where do you want to eat?” he asked me once we were standing on the street. 

“I don’t care. Anywhere’s great with me.”