11 | bad

INARIYAMI ISLAND, 1 MONTH AGO

SEN CRACKED the window open to let the bath's steam out, but it did little to get rid of the humidity clinging to her skin. Outside, the sky was purpling with dusk. The air trickling in was cool, now that the sun wasn't around to bake it.

The triplets, despite being submerged in warm bathwater, shivered from the air. Sen draped hot washcloths over their shoulders, petting their cheeks in apology. The girls hated baths.

"Sen."

She jumped and very nearly screamed at the aura that suddenly made itself known. Kotaro's Zetsu was perfect, and he used it to his advantage whenever he could. Even when it wasn't warranted. 

The fact that she hadn't even heard the door slide open or shut was annoying.

"Go away. I just got the triplets in the bath," Sen did not look at her brother, squirting kiddie shampoo into her hand.

"We need to talk," said Kotaro, leaning against the bathroom door. 

"We do not," she insisted, massaging the strawberry-scented shampoo into Aina's scalp.

Her brother padded over to the tub silently, kneeling next to Sen. He passed Hina an old rubber duck.

"Sen. I need you to tell me if you're actually okay with this."

From the corner of her eye, Sen could see Kotaro staring directly at her. If this were any other time, she would've been ecstatic that he was paying such close attention to her. Now she just wanted him to leave. Sen sorted through these things better on her own.

"It's not like I have a choice. I'm already registered for the Exam in January."

"You could just not go," Kotaro tucked a dark strand behind his ear, playfully splashing Eri a bit when she reached out to paw his hand for attention.

"You were the one who volunteered me in the first place," Sen snapped. And then to Aina, "Rinsing." 

The little girl ducked her head under the water. At least someone listened to her.

Kotaro scrunched his nose. "I know."

"So, shut up and shampoo Eri and Hina's hair. You're gonna be doing this when I'm gone."

Sen was uneasy. He'd been acting weird ever since the umi-kitsune clan asked for their help, and she couldn't tell what was bothering him. 

She watched Kotaro lather the shampoo, the scent of faux strawberries pungent in the little room. They're quiet as they go about cleaning the triplets. The girls were talking to themselves about mermaids.

"All you need to do is send me the prison's coordinates," Kotaro said, directing the girls to rinse. "I'll take care of the rest once you come home."

"What does the clan want as proof of death?" Sen asked.

"The leader's nose ring, but that doesn't matter. Killing him isn't part of your job."