"A Night To Remember"

MAVIS

                 "And you're sure no evil ninjas will sneak up on me in my sleep?"

                  From behind the hotel room door, Mavis listened as Ace responded with, "Of course not. And if they do, I will hunt them down to the ends of the world and destroy them."

                  Mavis pitied the poor ninjas who tried to get the best of Ace.

                  And Isla sighed, contented, as though this was soothing. "Thanks, Ace. And one day, you'll teach me your ways?"

                  "Of course," Ace said, with a Russian accent angling her words. "One day, you will be a ninja of the highest order, with an entire kingdom to fear you."

                  Isla made another satisfied sound. Mavis wondered when her daughter had become so bloodthirsty. It was adorable.

                  "Goodnight, Ace," Isla said.

                  From where Ace was sitting on the edge of Isla's bed, Mavis saw the Russian assassin―her wife―smooth down Isla's hair and stand.

                  Mavis quickly backed away from the door. 

                  After they had returned from the wedding to the hotel, Isla had been more than happy to have an entire hotel room to herself. And once Mavis had kissed her good night, she had said something surprising: Can Ace tuck me in? 

                  So now, Mavis was listening against the door. 

                  But as Ace rose, Mavis hurried back into her hotel room. Her heart was beating so fast it was a roar in her ears.

                 She was going to share a hotel room . . .

                 . . . with her wife.

                 I said no consummation, didn't I?  Mavis reminded herself. No consummation. No sex. No babymaking. No hot fucking, with my hands curled in the bedsheets, moaning her name so the entire floor can hear

                 Mavis! Get a grip of yourself. 

                 When Ace returned, Mavis was laying down over the bed. Their bed. Staring up at the ceiling.

                 "Your daughter . . . she is like a little kiska." 

                 Mavis dragged her eyes to where Ace was slipping off her jacket. 

                 Bad idea.

                 The sight of the muscles in Ace's forearms as she rolled up her sleeves was enough to make Mavis's legs clench together. Her teeth delicately trapped the edge of her tie, and her fingertips unknotted the collar of her shirt.

                 I wonder what that mouth could do, Mavis thought, imagining Ace between her legs. Because the way she bit that tie, with such controlled power . . . Dios mio. 

                 Was the air getting warmer in the hotel room?

                 "Um," Mavis began, very eloquently.

                 A slow smirk spread over Ace's lips.

                Mavis tried to breathe.