Prologue

In the not too distant past . . . 

He knew he was going to die now. There was no more denying it. He had made peace with it. But not with the men who were going to kill him. He would never make peace with them. Nor would his people.

The prisoner looked at the small room he was being held in. Would it be the last thing he ever saw? Probably. He longed to see the mountains again. To be able to look for miles over his land. And his people. This was not just his end, but theirs as well. He had wept for the loss, an entire nation obliterated. All of their history and culture. All they had accomplished for centuries. Gone. All because of greed. Greed that could not be sated.

No more. No more tears. No more prayers to the gods. If it was to come, and it would soon, he would meet it with a straight back and the dignity of his position among his people.

The door opened and a torch was thrust in. Two guards, their armor gleaming in the torchlight, entered followed by a small holy man in a brown robe, and lastly by his captor, taller than all the rest with a jet black beard.

"Please," the holy man said to the prisoner, "please accept the terms. You will live!"

The prisoner stared at him, boring holes into the holy man until he finally turned away and hid behind the guards. "And what kind of life would that be?" the prisoner finally said. "Live as a traitor? Live and turn my back on all I stand for and represent? No."

The bearded man laughed. It was loud and deep, but empty of humor. "See? What did I tell you? My old friend here has too much pride, isn't that right?" He laughed again and withdrew his sword.

There was another pause as the prisoner stared at the sword. His mind made up, he walked toward his captor and looked him in the eyes. "I, and my people, curse you. Your greed will be the end of you. It will consume you until there is nothing left. We have agreed to your demands, twice over, and still it is not enough." He looked at each of the men in turn.

"You may find fortune now," he continued, "but we will return. Camaquen is our guide. We will bask in the sun's warmth and we shall return. Stronger than ever. And when we do we will hunt you down. All of you."

The bearded man laughed again and raised his sword. He was still laughing when he brought it down.