XXVI: The Tragedy

Ad'eta resol

☆☆☆

Cato's eyes flew open and before he had time to take in his surroundings in the slightest, he had rolled over onto his side, opening his mouth to spit out what seemed like an impossible amount of sand onto the dirt beside him. His throat burned and the inside of his mouth felt as dry as a desert—which made sense considering the sand.

But Cato didn't have time to dwell on any of that as a worried coo drew his attention.

Still on the seeing stone, though laying down on his side now, was Grogu, his eyes locked on Cato despite them being heavy with exhaustion and one small hand outstretched towards him, shaking with strain.

"Grogu," Cato rasped, hurrying to stand up as strange dark shapes approached them from the sky. His legs shook and felt like jello, but Cato ignored it and was dragging himself towards Grogu before he was even on his feet. Exhaustion weighed heavy on him, and every muscle in his body felt bruised and spent, his limbs heavy and mind cloudy.

The four dark shapes landed around them with a heavy thud and Cato realised they were droids. Tall, black armoured droids with glowing red eyes and exaggerated forms. In perfect sync with each other, they took a step forwards and down onto the sunken circle.

Cato was only a few steps away when his vision swam, the world warping around him and making his stomach turn. He felt his legs give out and he crashed to the ground, breaking his fall only enough to avoid smacking his head into the stone beneath him.

The sinister marches of the droids drew nearer, and Cato struggled to get back onto his feet, but his body wouldn't listen to him. He tried to force himself to stand, crawl even, but he couldn't do it.

Heaving painful breaths, Cato dragged himself almost to the base of the stone, reaching up to grab Grogu. He had to protect him. He had to keep him safe. He would protect him, even if it meant dying. His fingers brushed against the child's and he felt a faint wash of relief.

But that was all snatched away as a looming shadow lifted Grogu away from him and an iron grip on the back of Cato's neck yanked him away from the stone.

Cato coughed and groaned in pain as he landed on his back, a pulse of throbbing pain going through his head as he hit the ground. "Grogu," He croaked, squinting against the light as he looked up into the expressionless face of one of the droids. Cato rolled onto his side, trying to find the strength to it up. He needed to sit up. He had to find Grogu, he had to get him. He had to get him out of here.

Cold, steel fingers wrapped around Cato's arms, dragging him unceremoniously to his feet.

"Hey!" he snapped, though it came out as a weak garble. He looked around wildly, locating Grogu instantly in the arms of another droid. "Grogu!" he tried to pull his arms out of the grip of the two droids that held him, but it felt like trying to drag an entire starship with just a rope. "Hey!" Cato thrashed and tugged relentlessly, looking around wildly for anything to help him.