Chapter 1

it's been almost an entire year, i know i know i'm sorry, but i'm rewriting this story. i'm changing it to third person pov and changing a lot of what i had before, so i suggest reading it again if you read the original version.

i have a tendency to write myself into a box and eventually drop the story when i get stuck, so i'll be writing a good portion of this story privately before i update, just so i can go back and edit previous chapters if i need to. i'll be giving updates on my message board about how it's going though

it's not ideal to readers ik but ty for being patient <3

🍃🍂

Kade Sandoval barreled into Farley's life without as much as a whispered warning, quite literally.

At the tender age of eleven Farley could do nothing more than stare with wide eyes at the boy who knocked him over. His palms stung from the fall, having no time to brace for impact before they scraped against the cobblestone path of his mother's private garden. The pain didn't register until much later, long after the boy was gone.

The boy looked just as surprised as Farley, staring with impossibly wide eyes from his place on the ground. They were blue, Farley noticed. If he weren't so disgruntled from his fall he would've peered closer to take a better look.

Farley remembers the grass being wet that day. It was watered just hours before, ordered by Mother. She loved the garden, treasured it like a child, and only permitted gardeners and knights in.

This boy certainly wasn't a knight, and Farley highly doubted he was a gardener either. The child of one, perhaps, but by no means was he permitted to enter, nonetheless from scaling the high walls bordering Mother's garden.

Farley should've felt an inkling of fear. But the boy was his age, and for whatever reason, this made Farley hold out his call for Stephen, his personal knight. The older man was standing calmly at the entrance with his back turned, eyes carefully roaming the grand halls leading for any sudden appearances.

He was close enough to be at Farley's side within ten hurried steps, but not close enough to interfere a possible attack. Perhaps I shouldn't have protested so much for privacy.

Even so, Farley watched the boy in silence. His own chest rose and fell softly, his racing heartbeat the only sign of his unease. Subtly, Farley's eyes ran over the unfamiliar boy.

Kade, he'd come to learn.

His clothing was tattered and dirty, looking as though it hadn't been washed in days. He was taller than Farley, just barely. Longer legs, wider shoulders, unruly black hair. He was the complete opposite of Farley's pin straight black hair and perfectly tucked tunic, void of any wrinkles.

Kade's tunic lacked the royal family's crest, and Farley knew for certain then that Kade wasn't supposed to be anywhere near the palace, let alone Mother's garden. All palace workers wore identical tunics marked with the royal family's crest, identifying them without as much as a glance.

Farley released a small breath and moved to stand. He's sure Father would have more than a few words to say if he saw him sprawled out on the ground like this. It was unfitting of a prince, he'd surely say. Farley couldn't help but agree.

Not only were his palms scraped, the book he was reading was thrown off to the side. A frown threatened his face when he noticed the bent pages. He'd been heading inside when Kade's large weight fell atop him, halting his actions.

Farley made to head inside again, but stopped when he noticed Kade go impossibly still. He watched Farley as though he were the intruder. It was almost insulting how unsettled he seemed by Farley's presence.