001. thats one big if.

THAT'S ONE BIG IF.
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

MAIA TOSSED AND turned the whole night, she did this every night so it was nothing new. Between her cellmate, Monroe, snoring and all of her thoughts screaming at her, it was hard to get some actual sleep while locked away in the skybox.

Especially because she was going to be floated soon. Sure she didn't keep track of the days that she'd been locked up in the skybox, but she did know that each day was nearing toward the big 18 and it was bound to happen at some point. Now she sat in her cot, Monroe still snoring soundly as she bit at the dead skin around her fingernails, her leg bouncing up and down growing impatient about the lunches not being served at the usual time.

The fluorescent lights flickered as she sat on the cot that made noise with every movement she made and she slapped her face into her hands letting out a groan that seemed to wake Monroe who asked how did you sleep? Every time she woke up. Every time.

Maia finally let out a sigh of relief when the cell door creaked open, but her face fell when she saw that there was no food. "Dude I'm starving where the hell is our food?"

Ignoring Maia's question the guard looked her dead in the eye. "Prisoners 315 and 323 face the wall and hold out your right arm."

"Oh goodie we're going on a field trip." Monroe spat as the girls did as the we're told, sharing a look of annoyance. The guards stood behind them, grabbing a weird looking bracelet from a box.

"Looks like a torture device." Maia stated. She blew out a breathy sigh, balancing most of her weight on her left leg as she help out her right arm, waiting for them to put of the weird looking torture device. "Where exactly are we going?"

"Today's your lucky day girls," The guard replied, clamping the bracelet on her wrist, a sharp pain shooting up her arm. "You're going to earth." Maia stared at the wall in front of her, unamused.

"How the hell is it lucky if we die down there anyway?" Monroe asked. Not to the guards but to Maia who just shrugged before the guards pulled them out of their cell and pushing them to follow the dozens of other prisoners being forced out of their cells to go to earth.

Before the girls knew it, they were seated in a drop ship beside each other, buckled in their seats tightly and sharing looks of confusion as weird conversations buzzed throughout the metal piece of junk that was going to blast into space and carry them all down to what Maia presumed was a radiation soaked planet still. Maia tried to distract herself by counting how many teenagers were buckled up and in the same position as her but she was stopped when a blonde girl was carried in on a stretcher.

Strange is all Maia said to herself as they buckled her into her dropship seat.

Maia shut her eyes, leaning her head against the headrest on her seat, patiently waiting for the violent lurch that would signal the dropship had been launched through space. It of course came soon enough, a rattle making Maia's eyes snap open and her stomach do flips. Monroe tried to speak to her but Maia couldn't concentrate when the big monitor in front of her flickered on and Jaha's face appeared on it, making Maia avert her eyes before her blood started to boil. Something about Jaha just pissed Maia and every other teenager (maybe even some adults too) off.

To distract herself and drown out Jaha's terrible voice, the teenage girl turned her attention to Monroe, who looked scared out of her mind, which Maia couldn't blame her, they were heading to a inhabitable planet full of radiation so how could she not be scared? Hell, Maia was even scared and that rarely happened, especially since she'd been locked away.