23. Eros - 2: Too Much Thought (CGD)

Eros’s point of view:

“Oh, Eros,” Psyche muttered putting a hand over her mouth. “Look at the two of them.”

I smiled into the large bowl of smoky water. Inside of it was the reflection of my granddaughter and her soul mate bickering like little children.

“They are so perfect for one another,” Psyche continued grabbing my hand. “They already fight as if they were married.”

“No,” I corrected. “That is young love whether they know it or not.”

"Isn't that why angels must be paired with other angels? So other immortals don't have to deal with that imperfection?" Nate’s voice drifted out from the bowl.

"No. That wasn't an imperfection!" Peyton claimed back.

Psyche suddenly shook her head and walked away from the scene. I frowned as she let go of my hand.

“What’s wrong?” I asked alarmed. I approached her and grabbed her hand once again to comfort her.

“Is this wrong of us?” she asked facing me with bright sad eyes. “To be playing this awful game with her emotions?”

“No,” I assured. “She has to learn.”

“But is this really the way?”

“She would never learn to love him the way she will after all of this,” I explained calmly.

Psyche seemed uncomfortable with the whole ordeal. “Can’t you just hit them both with an arrow and get the whole ordeal over with?”

I chuckled at her tone. “No, dear. I’m much more refined than that. They will learn to love one another on their own. Come now, let’s watch their interaction.”

Psyche sighed but allowed me to lead her back over to the Match Monitor where the two of them were talking in low tones.

“I like you… a lot,” Nate whispered as suddenly Peyton was in his arms and they were extremely close. Psyche gasped and grabbed onto my arm in excitement.

I kept my eyes narrowed on the two of them. It was too early for any real confessions of love. Only one thing would come out of this and it wasn’t going to have a pretty ending.

My prediction was right as Nate leaned down and removed the distance between them with a kiss that soon became heated.

“Oh, Eros,” Psyche muttered again laying her head on my shoulder. “We were like that once.”

I met her eyes and sent her a smile. “Where we are now is much better.” I promptly kissed her forehead and then returned my eyes to the scene. The sight of the two of them before only warmed my heart. There was no sweeter feeling that seeing two people perfect for one another finally together.

Yet, just as soon as it began, it ended and Peyton pulled away clearly surprised with herself. She took a few moments to gather her thoughts, shared a few words with Nate and escaped from there as fast as she could.

Psyche’s grip on my arm loosened and she began to pout. “Why would she leave? Couldn’t she see how magical it was when they were together?”

“I thought this game was wrong of us to play?”

Psyche gasped clearly exasperated. “But we were winning!”

I chucked at her once again as I tapped the image in the water to make it disappear. “We still are winning, my dear. It’s only a matter of time. Now, you must go and wait for Peyton to arrive and treat her no differently.