Chapter 20: "Follow Me!"

Heejin's POV:

Heejin looked both ways before crossing the street. Today was much quieter than usual since she wasn't walking home with her friends. She liked walking on her own sometimes, it allowed her to ponder her thoughts. All she could think about was going straight to the couch to watch her new show, but she knew she would have to clean beforehand. She groaned and walked slower at the thought of having to clean when she arrived.

She opened the gate to her yard and noticed her dad's truck still in the driveway. She was confused as to why her dad hadn't left to work yet. She stopped for a moment and admired the gloss on the green truck. She walked into her yard and spun a tetherball a few times around the poll. She felt a strong breeze and she shivered at the coldness. She jogged over to the door and took out her keys. As she inserted the key she heard a loud thud coming from inside.

She stopped for a second to see if she could hear anything else. Another thud sounded along with something ceramic breaking. Heejin quickly unlocked her front door and threw open the door to find her mother on the floor with a bloody wrist crying out. She looked up and saw her father standing over her mother. 

"What the fuck!" Heejin exclaimed

Her father straightened himself out and looked at Heejin. His face was flushed and he was breathing heavily. He took a step towards Heejin and she stepped away from him. 

"Get the fuck away from me! " Heejin yelled

He chuckled and looked over at his wife.

"Get up. You're making me look bad..." He said in a low voice

This wasn't the first time her father had done something like this. When she was younger he had pushed her mom onto the ground, but Heejin was a small child and couldn't do anything to stop it from happening.

Her mother cried and began to crawl towards her broken phone that lied on the cold floor. Her father walked over and kicked the phone away.

"Heejin close the door, honey. Your mom and I will be in the room so I can fix her up Okay?" He smirked at Heejin

Heejin walked over to pick up her mother but her father shoved Heejin away and Heejin stumbled over a pair of shoes on the floor. Heejin fell over and looked up to see her father picking up his wife. He began to walk her towards the hallway. Heejin didn't dare make another move. She knew what her father was capable of.

Her parents reached the bedroom and shut the door behind them. Heejin could hear her mother's muffled cries coming from down the hallway. Heejin looked around to see what she could do. 

She heard a familiar voice coming from her yard. She looked out the door and saw her brother Seung Hwan walking over to the house. 

"Seung Hwan Quick Come Inside! Please!" Heejin cried out

He looked over and smiled "Help me with my bags first would ya?" he laughed

Heejin dropped her bag and ran over to him

"Seung Hwan please! Dad's beating mom again!" she cried

His smile dropped along with his bags. He took off his jacket and sprinted inside. Seung Hwan knew his father was prone to domestic violence. Before he left for college he threatened his father to never lay a hand on his mother again or he would have the police at the house in a second. 

His father laughed in his face and Seung Hwan left without saying goodbye to his mother because he knew it would be hard to leave her and his little sister behind. This was three years ago. Now he's finally come back at the right time it seems.