0.1: Kreese's Letter

Betsy -

The nights have been getting darker and the shining stars are getting dimmer. It's lonely and cold without your smile to give me warmth. I struggle to find the words that'll help you understand how important you are to me, so maybe an embarrassing story will say enough.

It was earlier this week, and I was fresh off a restless weekend. The barracks will never be as comfortable, I've grown to learn this, even though I don't want to. Regardless of that, I knew Ponytail and Twig were waiting for me with crossed arms. I was due for more knuckle pushups and bear crawls than I want to admit, and it wasn't even seven in the morning yet. The sun tends to cover those that know to avoid the shade, but on hot days like these, you can only pray that your eyes will never meet the evil rays.

I was lacing up my boot when I finally began to realize that I had no idea where I placed your school portrait. I wouldn't dare to lose such a thing so for it to have escaped from one of my pockets was nearly outlandish. It wasn't until when I swung the communal bathroom door open and saw Twig holding it between his middle and index finger. I immediately lunged after him, how dare he take the one picture I need throughout the day. 

"Not yet Johnny boy, don't you gotta do some work first?" Twig taunted, all while my mind raced to figure out a suitable retort. I was ready to fire off the mouth, but lucky for that sack of bones, Captain was right around the corner. Of course, he didn't have a bit of ear for the bullshit I had to listen to. 

"Come on Twig, it is too early for your stupidity. Hand over the picture and we won't have to tussle it out around Captain," I tried warning him, my voice miraculously not shaking. Though I will admit, my hands started to quiver with frustration. They both knew better deep down but I guess that didn't matter in that moment. The other goddamn annoyance of the matter was the complete bystander Ponytail. I have always had his back and yet he stays silent when I need him there.

"Alright, alright. Drop and give me fifty and you'll get the picture of your sweetheart back." Twig chuckled to himself, recklessly shoving your beautiful picture in his shorts. Scumbag of a man, he's lucky I swear against friendly fire. 

"Crawls or pushups?" I ask him, almost dropping another snide remark about how he was making me do them on the grimy floor of a men's bathroom. For the sake of my ass and his own, complaints were best left inside. Ponytail and Twig briefly consulted each other, though I could tell only the skeleton of the duo cared about what I had to do.

"Pushups, only because you suffered a little too damn hard at yesterday's training procedure." Ponytail ultimately decided, crossing his arms and smirking at me. You'd think the military knew how to wipe the smug grin off an asshole's face, but not this time. Without second thought, I brought myself down to the ground and kept my end of the deal. I regretted my decisions because of the disgusting mix of fluids on my palms, but I knew I had to keep my eye on the prize: You.

It felt like forever as I went up and down on those vile tiles, but my dumb excuse of a morning workout was cut short sooner than I had thought; Captain caught on about what we were doing and was quick to end it.

"Enough. Kreese, get off the damn ground. What are you doing anyway?" He asked me, his tone matching frustration and anger of all levels. The immature and deeper desire was to squabble instantly about how it wasn't my fault, but behavior like that doesn't go too well around here. Instead of incriminating my "friend", Twig managed to speak up for himself.

"I'm sorry Cap, I took the man's lover girl and I told him to do pushups to get the picture back." Twig surprisingly admitted cleanly, revealing the now wrinkled picture of you. I was sickened by how it appeared now. I kept it in pristine condition until this prick, I promise you that Betsy. 

I know that story was quite the doozy and for that I'm sorry. Maybe some day I will find a way to tell you how much I love you. I will write back soon. I promise. And until then?

Keep our daughter safe.

Love,

John