Pandemic Survival

31st March 2020 - 9:15 AM:

Musa, his father Ahmed, his mom Aisha and his younger sister Hanifa were watching the president of Uganda, Mr. Museveni address the nation on NBSTV.

Starting tomorrow, schools are going to be closed.

No, thought Ahmed. That means I won't be able to see Jennifer tomorrow. He grabbed his phone and texted her on WhatsApp, I'm more likely to die during the lockdown because I'm missing you than because of Covid.

She replied with smiley emojis, where there's a will there's a way my love.

7th April 2020 – 4:00 PM:

Musa yawned as he watched the closing credits for the series NCIS. He hadn't walked out of the gate since the start of lockdown. He got up and walked to the kitchen where his mom was peeling tomatoes, "I'm going for a walk."

"If you want to exercise, why not do that in the compound?"

"I'm going to run mad if I don't take a walk outside."

"Okay but wear a mask and don't walk next to anyone. Avoid people like you're avoiding Satan."

He smiled. He put on his shoes and walked out of the gate. He checked his messages and saw one from his good friend William.

Meet me at the junction, said William.

I'll be there in thirty seconds, he replied.

On the way back from the walk with Will, he said, "I wish I could see Jenny."

"Well, you can. Just make plans to meet up."

"But she lives very far away."

"But you'll do anything to see her right? Text her and see what happens."

8:00 PM:

What's up my love? Jenny texted.

I'm fine boo. I want to come and see you.

I'd love that very much but I stay three hours away from you.

That will only give me 1 hour with you.

Yes. So when are you coming?

I'm coming tomorrow. I'm going to tell my parents I'm going to buy something from the supermarket and then I'll come see you.

Awesome. I'm going to spend the whole night dreaming about me and you.

Have a good night. I need to sleep now.

Sweet dreams my love.

8th April 2020 – 11:00 AM:

William was two hours into the journey when it started raining. It became cold. I wish I had carried a sweater. He texted Jenny, Is it raining at your place?

It's just started, my love.

I'm shivering cold and it's raining. I've taken shelter on the verandah of a Primary School.

I hope it stops soon.

Me too.

One hour and thirty minutes later, it was still raining in the area where Musa had taken shelter. He texted Jenny, Is it still raining where you are?

Yes.

I think we should reschedule. It will make it hard for me to get back home before curfew if I don't start heading back now.

She replied with crying emojis.

I'll see you another time.

You too baby.

If I don't start moving now, curfew may find me on the road. He had blocked his parents' phone numbers as soon as he walked outside the gate but now he unblocked them.

He reached home at 7:15 AM, fifteen minutes after the curfew. His nose was itching. He walked through the front door and found his mom and dad sitting in the living room. He took off his shoes and said, "Good evening daddy."

"Where have you been the whole day? We have tried to reach you."

"We tried contacting everyone we knew but none of them had an answer," his mom said.

"I was at a friend's place."

"Why didn't you tell us you were going to a friend's place?"

"Because you would never have let me go."

"Of course we wouldn't have."

He sneezed.

"Now your disobedience may have got you and we infected with Covid 19. If you were younger, I would have given you a beating."

11:00 PM:

Musa swallowed hard in his sleep. He had a painful sore throat, I'll deal with it in the morning, he thought.

10TH April 2020 - 8:00 AM:

Musa got out of bed coughing. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of lukewarm water. He liked the relief it brought to his throat.

His mom walked into the kitchen and heard him coughing, "We are going to quarantine you. Pick a cup and plate, a fork, and knife that only you are going to use until you cure your cough. You will be keeping them in your room after you wash them."

My parents are overreacting. All I have is the common cough and flu.

6:00 PM:

Musa's phone rang, Hello.

Hi baby. Jenny called in a sad tone.

What's wrong? He said and coughed.

My dad tested positive for Covid 19 and now I'm hearing you coughing.

Don't worry, the best men in your life are going to defeat this infection.

Yes, the best men in my life are going to defeat this infection.

Let me call you back babe, I want to get some flu medicine.

Okay.

He hang up and went to knock at his parent's door.

"Who is it?" his mom said.

"I would like some flu medicine."

"Go back to your room. I'm going to put it on the dining table then you can have it."

"Okay."

Five minutes later, his mum spoke outside his door, "The medicine is on the table."

"Thank you," he said.

"You're welcome."

10: 00 PM:

Musa felt weak. He had used three handkerchiefs during the day and was now using an unwashed t-shirt to blow his nose. His cough worsened. I thought the drugs were going to work? I hope I don't have Covid. Allah, help me.

11th April 2020 – 8:30 AM:

Aisha, Musa's mom knocked at his door, "Good morning Musa." She heard him coughing loudly.

"Good morning mummy," he said in a pained voice.

"I think you should go for a test today."