Epilogue

1 year later

We were at sea only about a month after we departed from that island. Once Robin directed us to Kenilworth, it wasn’t really a goodbye, but our farewell was more of a “see you soon” kind of thing. Robin says he’ll visit because his brother now lives here. So I know that I would see them soon.

Christian moved into my home. Sure we could’ve moved somewhere else, but my heart was pieced back together when we arrived at home for the first time, and the sign had magically appeared back in its spot. I ran to it and fell to my knees, making sure it was the same sign. It had to be. Did Viora really return it? Or was it really destroyed in the pot of ingredients?

We also took three sacks of coins with us, and I also carried every colored jewel I could get my hands on. We wanted enough so we could get by and maybe start something successfully. What that would be, I have no idea.

Christian and I didn’t work, though. We had enough for food and clothes and even some pieces of furniture with actual cloth and cushions, which I’ve never had in my house before. Sleeping on a large bed next to Christian every night with pillows and padding all around was the best thing I could ever dream for.

We also didn’t have to wear those ugly burlap sacks anymore. We could wear lace and satin and all these things that only the nobles were able to wear, and walking into the market that day, the nobles all gaped at me as I handed the merchant the coins I needed to buy the clothes, and walked away with my head held high and a smirk on my face. Christian never gets tired of that story.

Three months ago was when we got married. With some help and bribery from the coins, we were married in the King’s gardens, surrounded by all sorts of rare flowers that I haven’t seen anywhere else, in front of his own manmade waterfall that seemed to magically work on its own. My dress was big and white and embroidered with the colorful jewels all over the bodice. Robin and David did come back for that. The whole crew was there, too.

Dinah, however, wasn't. I visited her family's house shortly after arriving back to learn that she died shortly after I handed her to her parents. It was one of the hardest things to hear, and visiting her grave was worse. But I rested some roses and apologized for not helping her like I should have. I knew it wasn't much, but it was the best I could do. Iris didn't show up either, but I haven’t seen her since before I was kidnapped. Not that I cared, though.

The party after was spectacular, catered by the King’s chefs and with so much food I didn’t know what to do with. The orchestra was also there for every dance.  It was the happiest day of my life.

But the day ended, and we were now back in our home, living like an everyday husband and wife.

“What should we do this afternoon?” Christian asked as we sat down to eat lunch after a morning of work. Even with gold and jewels (that were hidden away for the purpose of taxpayers,) we still had to farm and do chores like normal. But I wasn’t alone to do them anymore.

“I’m not sure.” I replied, picking at my rice with a fork, “We’ve done everything we can in this kingdom.”

“Then let’s go somewhere else.” He suggested excitedly, eyes lighting up. “We can hire someone to take us away and go on another adventure.”

“I know, but the crops just got back to being healthy after no one tended to them for a while.” I argued, “I can’t do that again.”

“We’ll hire someone to take care of them.” He smiled, grabbing my hand gently, “Come on, give me a legitimate reason why not.”

“I…” I tried to think of one. I really did. I gazed out the window to look at the crops and the drying laundry, but my eyes landed on something else. Something much more important. Something I thought I’d never see again.