chapter 1

'And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive

'And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, whether the storm is really over.'

"Bel, come on. We gotta go, Bonnie's on her way to pick us up." Elena said as she leaned on my door frame. I shut my book and put it in my bag.

"Yeah, I am ready. Just need some caffeine in my body." I said as I picked up my bag and walked out of my room, Elena following. We climbed down the stairs to see Aunt jenna, being a complete mess.

"Toast. I can make toast." Jenna said while looking in the refrigerator.

"It's all about coffee J. Don't worry!" While filling up a cup of coffee for myself, which my little brother took from hand after ruffling my hair.

"Thanks Bel!" He said as he drank my coffee. I glared at him and poured myself another cup.

"It's your first day of school and I am totally unprepared. Lunch money?" Jenna asked.

"I am good" "I am okay", Elena and I answered, while Jeremy took the money.

"Anything else? What am I missing?" Jenna asked. It's been really hard for Jenna as well. We have lost our parents, but she too lost her sister and brother-in-law. And over that, she now suddenly have to take care of 3 children.

"J, don't you have a big presentation today?" I asked while drinking my coffee.

"Well, I am meeting my thesis advisor at... Now. Crap!" Jenna rushes, as she pulls her hair down from the bun it was earlier.

"Then go, we will be fine." Elena said as I smile at her as reassurance. Jenna smiles at us and rushed out. "You okay?" Elena turned to Jeremy.

"Don't start." Jeremy rolls his eyes, but when he sees my glare, he turns to Elena, "whatever, I am fine." He said and walked over to me and kissed my head. "Take care." He whispered to be before leaving.

Jeremy and I have always been close, much closer than Elena and I could ever be, or even him and Elena. It's not like we don't like Elena, we love her, she is our sister. But she has this habit of making everything about her and to poke her nose in the business that doesn't even concern her. It gets very annoying. And after the accident, it has just worsen.

After Jeremy left, we both sat in silence, drinking our coffee. After a few minutes, Bonnie arrives. I sat in the car as Elena locked the front door.

I was looking out of window to calm my nerves. I am still a bit scared of traveling in cars. I still have no idea how Elena and I survived the crash. One moment I was in water, telling dad I love him, and then I am on the hospital bed, comforting Jeremy as I had just learnt that mom and dad didn't make it. I am pulled out of my thoughts when I heard bonnie call out my name. "Ebele! Back in the car!"

"I did it again, didn't I?" I said as I shook my head in regret. "I am sorry Bonnie. You were saying-"

"That grams telling me that I am a psychic now." Bonnie smiled at me.

"Right, okay. How about you predict something about me?" I joked. Bonnie and Caroline have been my friends since I could even remember. They have always been there for me and Elena. Though Bonnie and Elena have a bit stronger bond, and Caroline and I, we all love each other.

Bonnie sighs playfully, "I see-" she was interrupted by a bird hitting the car out of nowhere and she suddenly pulled the break. I reached my hands to my chest as if to calm my heartbeat. I took few deep breaths and look at Elena to see if she is alright. "What was that? Oh, my God. Ebele, Elena, are you both okay? It came out of nowhere."

"It's okay. I am fine." Elena said as I showed a thumbs up to say that I am fine, as I didn't trust my words or voice. Bonnie didn't looked convinced, and to be honest, even I don't think I am fine. "Really, we can't be freaked out by cars for the rest of our life."

Bonnie smiled at as. "Well I predict this year is going to be kick-ass. And I predict all the sad and dark times are over. And you guys are going to be beyond happy." We smiled at Bonnie, this time genuinely.

**********

We were walking towards my locker and I tuned out Bonnie and Elena's conversation as I was looking at Tyler, my ex boyfriend, kissing Vicki Donovan. Tyler and I were used to be the stereotypical 'IT' couple, the jock and the cheerleader couple, who everyone thought would be together till the end of time. He was even there for me after the accident, and I realised that I loved him and I told him that. He left me standing alone and the next day I see him with his tongue down in Vicki Donovan's throat.

Watching them there I felt sad all over again. So I left for my classroom. On the way there, I bumped into someone and we both dropped our books. After we both picked up our books, I look up and see the most beautiful forest green eyes I have ever seen. " Um I am sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going."

He just smiled at me and we both just stood there and stared at each other's eyes until we heard someone clear their throat. I look up to see it was Mr Tanner. I said a quick bye to the guy and rushed to Tanner's classroom.

**********

I was listening to Tanner when I felt my phone virbrate. Careful for Tanner to not catch me, I open my phone to see a text from Bonnie.

Hawt-e Staring. @ U.

I was confused at first and turned my head around to see who was Bonnie talking about. I suddenly caught the familiar forest green eyes from the hallway looking right back at my chocolate brown doe eyes. I shared a smile with him and turned to face ahead, smiling.