chapter 4 ~ the question

december 21

"he's on his way? now?" gabbie questioned after i set my phone down.

"yeah, i've gotta figure out how the hell i'm going to deal with this." i placed my head in my hands. what was i thinking?

she rubs my shoulder in an effort to calm me down, it doesn't really work. "do you want me to stay here?"

"no... i," i exhale deeply. "i'm gonna do this by myself."

she nodded, then stood up to give me a hug. i hugged her back tightly, only letting go when i heard a knock on the door.

"shit okay." i took another deep breath. "i'll let you know how things go. thanks."

"of course, i'll be at jacks, take care of lavender and text me if you need me? love you." she smiled at me one last time. she pulled the door open and greeted zach, then slipped out.

"love you too." i mutter to myself. i force myself to fake smile. "hey zach."

"i got your text, what's up?"

something about him still makes me nervous, after all this time of knowing him. "it's kind of complicated. and, uh, and it's a little weird." i stammered.

zach situates himself on my bed. "well it's fine, you can tell me anything, you know that." i stay standing.

"well... okay." this is it. "so you know how my parents are. how they always want me to be like my sister." he nodded. "well my sister recently got married and didn't even bother to tell me-"

"-what a bitch." he interjects.

i chuckle. "yeah. well, my parents asked me if i had someone special..." he furrowed his eyebrows. "and i said yes..." i looked down, for some reason i couldn't bring myself to look at him. "and i asked, stupidly asked, gabbie for a name, and she said zach... so i've been lying to my parents and telling them i have a boyfriend for the past four months."

i finally look up at him, his eyes are wide. i decide to give him a second before hitting him with the big news. "and they want me to invite him over for christmas."

"wait... wait what?" he asks, clearly bewildered.

"i need my boyfriend named zach to come to my house for christmas to come and meet my parents, dreadful sister, and her new husband." i shrugged, pulling at the sleeve of my sweater. "and i don't happen to know any other zachs."

i've known him for so long that i can basically see him thinking. he's going over everything in his mind until he finally sighs. "so gabbie gave you my name to give your parents for a boyfriend."

i begin to scratch my arm and swallow hard.

he kind of huffs. i can't tell if he's mad at me or frustrated with the situation. "and that would happen to be me?"

"yeah, um..."

he stays silent. my heart rate increases.

"how far is the drive?" his voice is soft, but there's sharp undertones.

i let go of a breath i didn't realize i was holding. "yes!" i jump up and down, zach seems to be smiling a little bit. "thank you so much zach!" i wanted to hug him, but i stayed where i was standing.

"no problem y/n, you know i'd do anything for you." i can feel my cheeks redden at his words. "so... girlfriend. what's our love story?"

what did i just get myself into? i think to myself. more importantly, what did i just get zach into?

authors note:
i know it's been a long time since i last uploaded on wattpad, i'm sorry for the long wait! i deactivated my account back in february and i just kind of lost my passion for a while. but i'm back now and hopefully will be writing for this story a lot more now! thank you for reading :)