Missing flowers

Lush and vibrant assortment of flowers flourished in the Marigold estate. Roses, tulips, chrysanthemums, lilies, carnations, irises, and buttercups were among the many. Rare entities of herbal or medicinal plants thrived in a well preserved greenhouse. Peasant gardeners were hired to maintain the numerous plants. Only one flower was missing from the estate. A flower which defined the Marigold estate. Three men walked along the garden pavement.

"Lord Marigold?" Louis asked Alfred a question.

"Yes? Louis." Usually, Louis would be adamant about playing the role of William's aid and would rarely interject or try to socialize with the noble aristocrats. Yet, the Marigolds were one of the few exceptions to this rule. Actually, Louis at the beginning resolved to not intervene with the actions of Alfred and would speak only when it was necessary or his brother prompt him to. Recognizing Louis's quietness, Alfred disapproved of the portrayal of distant between them. He proclaimed one day, " Louis, I will not give up on having you as my friend even if I have to encourage you until my death! So, it would be much easier for you to just accept your fate and be my friend just like William!" Seeing the persistent attitude by Alfred and his confident remark, Louis just sighed and resigned to his fate. William was quite amused by Alfred.

"Why are there no Marigolds in your estate?" Louis continued in his question.

"Alfred. I am much intrigued as well. It is a wonder your house is competent in collecting these distinct and different plants. I would have inferred Marigolds, the symbol of your noble house, would be present." William remarked. It was known throughout society that the Marigold estate possessed an assortment of plants and flowers. It was indeed strange for Marigolds to be missing from their collections. The greenhouse erected by the Marigolds held medicinal plants specifically targeted towards the commoners. Unlike other nobles who would rather selfishly collect rare herbs to satisfy their pride, the Marigolds were generous in helping the commoners. Their numerous philanthropic actions won the hearts of the peasants.

"Great observations!" Alfred cheerfully praised the two brothers. Then, his expression changed into a thoughtful and serious one while he worked out how to voice out his answer. "Hmm, I would say our Marigolds were too loved by a certain someone, so it turned into a missing flower.

Confusion dawned on the Moriarty brothers' face. " oh?" William said in amusement, "Alfred, what are you suggesting with that statement?"

"Whatever I said." Alfred's expression seem to looked far in the distant as if he was remembering something. Then, he turned his face back to the Moriarty brothers and broke out in a huge grin. "Well, we shouldn't worry about this insignificant fact now and be on our way"

William observed Alfred as he turned his way forward and led the two to the mansion.