Chapter 34: The Interrogation (Fragment 9)

February 20, 2014 8:17 PM

Case #: 124.678.21-001

OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT OF POLICE INTERROGATION

~~START PAGE 8~~

INTERROGATOR: Tessa, I have some bad news.

HART: What? Now what?

INTERROGATOR: My partner just spoke with your therapist. Dr. Regan, was it?

HART: Is she coming soon?

INTERROGATOR: I'm afraid she won't be able to join us.

HART: What? No! Did he try her cell number? She was supposed to be on call! Just in case I had a panic episode or something. We planned it all out together. She knew about the whole thing - the Catfish episode and the concert and everything. She wanted me to go ahead with it!

INTERROGATOR: Right. That seems to be the problem.

HART: What do you mean?

INTERROGATOR: When Detective Newman explained the situation to her, she referred him to her attorney and declined to speak any further.

HART: I don't understand. Why does she need an attorney?

INTERROGATOR: Her malpractice attorney.

HART: She's worried about malpractice?

INTERROGATOR: That's about the size of it.

HART: Are you kidding me? My single worst fear in the entire universe just came to pass, and she's worried about getting sued?

INTERROGATOR: She provided Detective Newman with a 1-800 hotline you can call if you're in crisis.

HART: If I'm in crisis? I'm supposed to call some stranger on a hotline? Did she miss the memo where I have a debilitating fear of strangers?

INTERROGATOR: OK Tessa. I understand you're upset.

HART: Of course I'm upset!

INTERROGATOR: I'm sorry. I can only relay to you what was said.

HART: Whatever. Is Nev still here? Can I talk to him at least?

INTERROGATOR: Yaniv Schulman? From MTV?

HART: Or Max. Either of them.

INTERROGATOR: I'm sorry, Tessa. The whole TV crew cleared out about an hour ago.

HART: They left?

INTERROGATOR: One of the producers asked me to remind you about the liability waiver you signed. I believe she left a copy for you with the desk officer.

HART: Great. Let me guess. It says I'm not allowed to sue them?

INTERROGATOR: Would you like me to call your mother now, Tessa? I'm sure the hospital can get another phlebotomist to cover her shift.

HART: No!

INTERROGATOR: Is there anyone else?

HART: I can't believe this is happening.

INTERROGATOR: Maybe a cup of tea or coffee? Is there anything I can do to put you more at ease right now?

HART: Yeah, you know what? There is something you can do.

INTERROGATOR: What's that?

HART: You can arrest that animal, and put him in jail, and throw away the key. That's what you can do.