Chapter 2; symtoms

KIARAS POV

Hospitals have been maximum capacity since day one, with patients spilling out into the streets.

Same here in Seattle. 

What caused this?

Some doctors have been working around the clock to find out. Ive heard blood samples from infected patients from Harborside were rushed to the hospital and they've been running all known tests, but the results are coming back negative for everything.

No identifiable bacteria, virus, or parasite.

Yet people are stricken with severe aches and pains all over their bodies.

"Like knives sticking into muscle." And then things got worse.

The classroom came down to a skeleton crew as many of my friends have been getting sick.

I feel helpless.

At this point 3 people died.

Sarah, James, Todd.

The power's out now.

Back up generator too.

I ran a paper clip from a 9-volt battery.

What does that do?

everything's falling apart.

In the first few days of outbreak, horrific instances of suffering were broadcast on television and the internet, but mostly just short of the last stage of infection.

But I've witnessed all of the following stages firsthand among fellow classmates.

Physical symptoms at the onset of illness can be categorized as follows:

ONSET PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS:

EYES:the sclera becomes enlarged and bloodshot.

EAR CANALS: swell shut, creating a tremendous pounding sensation.

NOSE AND MOUTH: tissues engorge with fluid. Severe constriction of nasal passages and throat.

CHEST: chest area "feels tight, like a sponge" Breathing becomes short and rapid. Lungs struggle for oxygen.

STOMACH: severe stomach cramping and consipation reported. Subjects are unable to digest more food, experience vomiting and diarrhea.

ARMS, LEGS, BACK: Complaints of muscular aches similar to flu symptoms. (No evidence of viral infection.) These symptoms accelerate acutely, causing intense physical pain.

HANDS AND FEET: extremities become cramped and it becomes difficult for victim to walk or use hands in a functional capacity.  At this point, the subject becomes bedridden and immobile.

Illness was only the beginning. People succumbed.And died.

But within moments of death, really, just shortly after "death" was noted, the bodies snapped back into "life" as though a switch was flipped.

The bodies didn't even get to the morgue. Patients went from flatline to animation, though completely deranged.

There is no scientifc explanation. There may be a religious explanation, but-look we're going to have to figure this out, I think we have to try to stick to science.

Once there is a brain death, a person is should be-dead. Yet function, I guess that's what it is , is reported to return among the "risen". The corpse become animated.

Post-mortem:Physical symptoms
Eyes:Red sclera darken further, then blacken over time.

Nose and Mouth:No visible respiration. The mouth is drawn wide open, in what looks like a biting-or an anticipatory biting-position.

Chest:No physical change, but no rising or falling of the breast.

No heart activity.

Reanimated subjects hooked to cardiac machines display terminal flat line.

Arms, legs, back:Movement returns to the muscles, albeit with a jerky, random rhythm, as if the dead subject is impossibly fighting against something, some organism?, animating him/her from within.

Hands and feet:Basic, primal function has been restord to the extremities:the dead subject can again walk and grasp things...