Chapter 1: Letting Go Of The Past

As the hot summer sun disappeared behind the horizon, Sienna had wasted another day playing video games and watching shows on Netflix. (Sounds like quarantine to me) The night sky of Florence slowly turned from orange, to a mix of pinks and blues, until finally all the light had faded and only the stars lit up the sky.
Sienna brushed a streak of long wavy hair out of her face and paused the game she was playing. She looked up to see her mother standing in front of her. "What is it?" Sienna's voice was soft, she could see her mother was struggling with something.
Sienna's mom sat down beside her and patted the back of her head. "How much time are you going to spend at home? If you never leave this house, you will never heal."
Sienna smiled slightly. She knew of her mother's concerns since this wasn't the first time she had brought them up.
"I would like to heal, I just don't know where to start"
Little did her mother know that Sienna already had a plan. Her biological father was from South Korea and as soon as she had enough money she wanted to move there to go back to her roots. Not only that, though. This would give her an opportunity to get away from everything that reminded her of him. The despicable human being who shattered her soul. She knew he, too, lived in Florence and the chances of them coming across one another might be slim, but Sienna didn't want to feel scared anymore. She hated always having to look around her when she left the house, hoping that his familiar face wouldn't show in the crowd.

"Mom, I have to tell you something," Sienna spoke. Her mother looked at her, waiting for her to continue. "I plan to move to Seoul soon." Her eyes were pointed at the ground, afraid for her mother's reaction. What happened next surprised Sienna. Her eyes widened as her mother gave her a tight hug, but didn't say anything. The black haired girl looked at her mother with a surprised gaze. "You- You're not angry?" "No," her mother shook her head. "I somehow saw this coming. If you think this is what you need to do in order to heal, then you fully have my support. Of course, I'm going to miss you. But, the most important thing right now is that you find a way to become whole again." A tear rolled down Sienna's cheek. She was officially going to start a new chapter in her life, and she couldn't wait. It scared her to go away from home, but it would also set her free from the torture of the past.

"Thank you, mom"

One week later

Today was the day Sienna turned 20 years old. For the last few days, she and her mother had been getting everything ready for her to go to Korea. She had booked a flight, arranged her accommodation for at least three months. After that, she would decide whether to stay or go back to her mom in Italy.

That day, Sienna woke up at 7 am. She packed a suitcase full of essentials (which for her were mostly clothes) and went downstairs to have some breakfast with her mom. Today, birthday cake was served for breakfast, because Sienna would have to be at the airport in only a few hours. "Are you still sure you want to do this?" The girl nodded as she stuffed her mouth with cake. "Yes, I'm 100% sure. It'll be good for me"

After eating and washing up, Sienna and her mom were ready to leave. She said goodbye to their cat Kaiser by giving him a small peck on his fluffy head and took one last look around the house before walking out the door.

The ride to the airport was tense. As the music played softly in the background, Sienna could only stare out the window and feel guilty about leaving her mother all alone. Meanwhile, her mother was silent, too, because she would burst out into tears if she spoke. She would miss her little girl more than anything. But, the little bird would have leave the nest at one point, she knew that. When the two arrived at the airport, Sienna felt adrenaline rush through her entire body. "Do you have everything? Toothbrush? Underwear?Glasses? Money?" Her mother came rushing to her side. "Check, check, check and check" said Sienna, trying to calm her mother down, even though deep inside, she was stressing as well.

She gave her mom a real tight hug before looking at her watch and deciding it was really time for her to go. "Be careful, my darling. And may you become whole again." Her mom said with tears in her eyes. "I will be, thank you mom. I love you!" Her mom sighed. "Your father would've been so proud of you." She gently caressed her daughter's cheek before letting her go.

The two waved at each other until they had completely faded from each other's sight. Sienna smiled, tying up her long black hair into a pony tail. As she boarded the plane that would take her to Korea, the girl started to feel less scared and more confident. The further she got away from her ex, the better.

———————————————————————————
And that's it for Chapter 1 folks! Ahh it feels good to be back to writing again. I missed this platform sm :p