Chapter 8- Lamb to the Slaughter

(Guess who's back and not dead?? 2020 was the absolute worst for me, and I just didn't have the motivation to continue most of my hobbies. I started my job in healthcare just two months before the pandemic hit, and still being in school, my entire year was full of stress, worry, and lack of sleep. But I'm doing a bit better now, and have decided to resolve myself to getting back into some of my stress-relieving hobbies. So, without further ado, let's get into the next part of Jake and Lessie's story. There is a slight TW for the last bit of this chapter, which will be indicated before the triggering part begins, for anyone who struggles with mentions of gore. There are slight allusions to some sexual references but nothing explicit and nothing detailed. This story likely won't go over a 16+ rating for a long while, if ever at all.)

The morning that followed was a cold and ugly one, with rain, wind, and thick fog that made me want to curl up under the covers all day. I put on a light summer dress underneath my heavy coat, galoshes on my feet with a change of shoes in the messenger bag slung across my body. Jake and I ate breakfast quickly, and he casually mentioned to his dad that we'd be going out for the day.

"In this weather? Doing what?"

"Oh, we're going to keep going around and talking to the older townsfolk. We didn't get a chance to meet with them all yesterday," I said smoothly, sipping the bitter black coffee that was in my mug, "We might head back over to the children's home if the weather clears up at all. I've packed some supplies in my bag so we're better prepared this time."

Franklin just shook his head, clearly not still on board with Jake spending all his time at the old children's home, but he said nothing more about it. "Just be sure you're back in time for dinner."

"Roger that Dad. We'll see you later." Jacob gave him a fake salute before grabbing my hand, pulling me out into the foggy morning air.

We picked our way through the muddy bog to the loop entrance, crouching down to crawl our way through the low cairn, coming out the other side into a bright, warm summer day, with Emma leaning against a rock, waiting on our arrival.

"About time!" She greeted us loudly as we ducked through the low entrance, leaping a little ungracefully to her feet. "Everyone is waiting for you!"

Jacob was at my side once we had shed our unnecessary coats and changed out of our galoshes, ready to indulge in the lovely summer warmth we were standing in. Hand-in-hand, we followed down the path, leaving our winter clothing behind at the loop entrance as we did.

When we arrived at the house, we were led around to the backyard, where we found a small wooden stage standing on the lawn. The entire yard was a flurry of activity, with children rushing to and from the house, carrying props, fixing costumes, and setting up the small orchestra in the corner.

"What's all this?" Jacob turned to Emma questioningly, "Are you guys putting on a play?"

"You'll see," was the only cryptid answer she gave as she showed us to a row of folding chairs set up in front of the stage.

"Who's in it?" Jake asked again as we took our seats.

"You'll see."

"What's it about?" I finally reached over and pinched his arm, giggling softly as he leaned his forehead against mine, snickering at his own childish behavior. I felt Emma's eyes watching us, and for a moment I felt bad for flaunting my happy relationship with the boy that looked so much like her lost love.

But before I could think to say something or give her some look to reassure her that I did want us to be friends, a loud whistle suddenly sounded, drawing our attention up to the stage. The curtains drew back to reveal a straw hat floating atop a red and white striped suit, the kind of thing you'd see the members of an old-fashioned barbershop quartet wearing. It took a moment to figure out it was Millard dressed in such a strange fashion.