thirty four

"and this is my studio" taehyung announced, kicking the door open to the place he kept hidden away from the rest of the world, well rest of the world except rumi who looked around the place with wide eyes and a slightly open mouth, muttering several compliments that taehyung didn't quite catch with the speed she was telling them in. she pushed taehyung aside lightly and ran inside, excitedly looking at all the paintings gathered in a corner. taehyung slightly chuckled at her and leaned against the door frame, hands shoving into his pockets, letting her take her time to look around. after a few minutes, he heard her yelp and picking one painting up from the small bundle, her fingers carefully and firmly grabbing the corners, trying not to ruin anything.

"wait, i thought this one was sold?" rumi frowned, eyes darting towards the painting with the paris-like scenery basked in a hazy purple light, she clearly remembered this piece being labeled as 'sold' and she looked back at him for the answer. taehyung's big smile faded away and instead a weak, forced one took its place as he shook his head, stepping into the room and grazing his hands over the painting gently.

"no, not this one" he murmured, taking it into his own hands and placing it back in the bundle.

"why not?" rumi asked, head tilting and taehyung shrugged, not knowing how exactly to explain to her.

"i made that for my mom when i was in paris, i tried to give it to her, she didn't take it, so its been lying around here, i thought i put too much work into it to actually throw it away, so i might just add it to the pieces for the exhibition" taehyung sniffed a little, looking away from the painting, he remembered that day all too well, he wished he didn't, no matter how much he treasured memories, he hoped that he would forget that day, for his own good.

"ma, i know we haven't exactly talked but um i just, ugh let me just show you" 20-year-old taehyung frustratedly run his hands through his sweaty locks, pushing them out of his face, running around his tiny apartment, and he could see the disappointment in his mom's eyes at his longer hair and his smaller house. he did feel she had no say in where he lived, especially when it was with his own money. she was meeting him after so many months of radio silence on both their parts, taehyung invited both his parents to his new home, to try and make amends but only one of them showed up, though disappointed, he was just grateful that someone came.

"i don't have a lot of time taehyung, can you please hurry up?" she said in such a simple way like those words wouldn't tear him apart, like her not using his nickname taetae anymore wouldn't hurt him. they were never very close but the nickname was one thing she'd always called him since when he was a baby. she sat there in such a poised way, she always was dressed to present and today was no different. he wished she would dress simpler, he was her son at the end of the day, he wasn't someone she needed to be all perfect around, he wanted to shout that at her.

"okay, here it is" he breathed out, shaking hands placing the painting on her lap, and looking at her nervously, breathing unevenly, there was silence for a few minutes. the silence which felt years longer to him. he couldn't read what she was feeling, it was easier for him to understand her a few years ago. he heard her sigh, and his heart almost stopped when she just placed the painting on the table in front of her, getting up from her seat and adjusting her skirt, finally looking at him with unreadable eyes.

"that was kind of you taehyung, but you shouldn't have" and as if that weren't enough to drive spears through his heart, she simply nodded and left him all alone, like always.

"why didn't she take it though? it's one of your prettiest pieces, and i thought it would be sold for sure" rumi was confused, she knew his parents were insensitive but refusing something that he obviously put so much effort into just seemed absolutely cruel of them to her. she could feel herself getting angry at a very probable heartbroken taehyung and her anger only grew when she saw the tears gathered in his eyes as he tried to gather himself. she would hurt anyone who hurt him, even if it were his parents but for now, she would settle to console him. she gently took his hand, making him turn around to look at her with the same teary eyes.