Chapter Six: Distractions

Rivens Pov
The thought of Avery clouded my mind. It was all I had thought about when I had bumped into her, the first day at school.
I knew nothing about her and yet I wanted to know everything.
Who is she.
I mentally slapped myself, stop thinking about some random girl.
You only think about her because she knows how to get under your skin, not that you mind.

I grunted. She was mysterious, probably holding a bunch of forbidden secrets but then again, aren't we all.

I was leaned against a pillar in the hall. The hall was deserted at this time as it was past curfew. This was the only time I could be alone to my thoughts without Sky breathing down my back. I loved him like a brother but sometimes he was a real pain in the arse.

I blew out one last puff of smoke. I exhaled, exhausted with my mind constantly on the move.
A girl around my age walked past with a bundle of books tucked neatly under her arms.

"Are you burning the midnight oil?" I retorted, taking another inhale of my cigarette. She stopped in her tracks.

"Snorting the midnight Adderall is more like it." the girl smirked, "But I'll need sleep eventually."
I chuckled lightly. I looked at my cigar, offering her a puff.

"Hands are kinda full." She shrugged. I knew what she wanted me to do so I gently inhaled the smoke and transferred it into her mouth.
"You're a first year." I pointed at her. She exhaled the smoke in my face slowly.

"I'm a lot of things." And with that last remark, she strutted away with the books still neatly tucked under.

I leaned back on the pilled, amused. I liked this girl, she reminded me of someone.
Avery, however this girl was more forward and somehow didn't irritate me as much.

Maybe this girl will be the distraction that I need.

Junes Pov

We had just arrived back from the woods and were now crowded in the dorm. Bloom looked exhausted and as she went to go into her room, she turned back.

"Thank you for saving me back there. I'd be good as dead if it wasn't for you." She muttered. I didn't need to say anything so I just nodded my head as a 'you're welcome.'

Aisha reassured Bloom that her parents were safe and that Dowling would take care of the burned one. I zoned out as I know that after Bloom was gone I'd have to explain to the girls about who I am.

"Avery." Waved Terra in front of my face, snapping me out of my thoughts, "You said you'd explain so now is a good now I'd say."
I sighed, trying to calm my nerves.

So I told them, about my parents, about how my real name was actually June and not Avery and about my rare abilities and how I could control any form of darkness and shadows. They stared at me in silence, dumbstruck at the information overload.

"How is there nobody like you? I've never heard of anyone who can control darkness. I heard the rumor and the myth circling around but I never thought that it was true. That you are true." Musa was the first one to speak, looking as confused as the rest of them.

"If only I knew." I laughed lightly to cover the fact that I was just as confused as they were, "Nobody has ever given me answers before and part of coming to Alfea was getting those answers. The only problem is that I'm not sure where to start."

We talked about it for another hour until we were all exhausted from the lack of sleep. They had eventually run out of questions, thankfully, because if someone asked me one more question I think I'd explode.
We said our goodnights and parted ways into our own rooms.
I was alone in my room as Stella wasn't anywhere to be found.
Coward. Running away from her problems. Although I'm not sure if I was the one to speak on cowardly behavior.

The thing that I knew best, was running away from my problems especially the ones that I had caused.

Sorry for the short chapter! This chapter was to move the storyline forward and now we are on episode two!
As always, have a good day :)