[Flashback Chapter 358: Making a Perfect Plan for my Summer Break]

This chapter is dedicated to twilight, with thanks for all your support. Hope you enjoy  :) And if there's anybody else out there who'd like to have a chapter dedicated to you every month (on top of the ones I would otherwise post - so everybody can read more), then please take a look at my Patreon page, username 'kittyangel'.

Adi woke early; or she assumed it was early. The clock on her phone said the time was two twenty, but the first light of dawn filtered in through the blinds, accompanied by a chorus of birdsong. She couldn't hear any vehicles, even in the distance, which was a big change from the life she was used to.

She sat on the edge of the bed for a few minutes, trying to collect her memories and maybe come to understand where she was, and why. She felt a little more grown up than she had the previous evening, and should therefore be more capable of making some sense of what was going on. But that didn't necessarily help when she'd been too far gone to be fully aware of events. Things she hadn't noticed or understood at the time, she couldn't remember later.

She could remember spending a long time on planes, with a tray table folded down so she could draw pictures. She remembered more than one airport, but the journey had been a blur and she wasn't sure if it had been two flights or three. She had no idea how far from home she was, but the time showing on her phone screen clearly didn't match the position of the sun outside the window. It was clear they'd either travelled far enough East to enter a different time zone, or gone North to a place where the sun rose a lot earlier in the day. Which of those options was true, she had no idea.

Dean had given her the option of feeling more adult, but she'd turned him down. She'd wanted to take a nap, to help clear her mind. Now she wasn't so sure that had been a good idea. After her nap, her adult thoughts had barely returned. She'd been like a little kid, needing help to eat, and she'd been happy to play right up to the time Dean said it was time for bed. Not such a good start to her vacation, getting carried away with exactly the same behaviour that had been so problematic at home.

After a few minutes thinking to herself, wondering how long she had before Toni arrived to play with her, Adi was a little closer to a decision. She didn't want to disappoint her girlfriend, but at the same time she didn't want to spend the whole holiday as a baby. She'd been turning down foreign holidays since she was a small child because the only way the family could afford it was for Aiden to be in charge. The man she refused to acknowledge as her father. Now she had the chance, and she really hoped he hadn't footed the bill. She wanted to enjoy this time away, especially if Toni would be the one beside her. And she wanted to be aware enough to understand what was going on, and to help make plans. She didn't want to go home again without any real romantic memories. So even if this was supposed to be a surprise for baby Adelaide, she wasn't prepared to spend the whole weekend regressed.

She needed to tell Dean that, to make sure he didn't say her baby name again just before Toni arrived. She wanted to be capable of rational thought. Adult thoughts, like Dean had offered. Or a completely different kind of adult thoughts when Toni got here. That was something she didn't want to miss, even if she knew Toni would be disappointed. So she thought about the best way to let her Mommy and her babysitter know her intentions. She could probably tell Dean, as long as he didn't say her baby name over breakfast.

She looked at her phone on the nightstand again. Plugged in with a glittery pink cable, the screen lit up and showing the time. She could send a text message, maybe even starting with the safe word to show that she really meant it. She didn't want to spoil their plans, she didn't want to make Toni worry, but she knew she couldn't cope with knowing she'd missed out on some part of the vacation because of her failure to communicate. She wanted to be involved in planning her own life again, even if it meant diminishing a nice surprise or reducing Toni's enjoyment of this place for a few minutes.

She unlocked her phone and started keying in the message, only to notice one little icon she hadn't noticed the day before. She didn't know what the symbol was supposed to be, but she knew exactly what it meant.

No signal. Asking to be treated like an adult would have to wait until Dean made the offer again.